emma

What about negative effects on credit score after bankruptcy drops off?

Hi - I'm new to the myfico forums. I heard, I believe from Suze Orman, that once your bankruptcy drops off your credit reports, you will actually experience a significant DROP in your credit score because you are then compared to people who haven't filed bankruptcy, as opposed to while the bankruptcy is still listed. While it is still showing, you are grouped/compared to people who have filed and therefore the older your bankruptcy discharge and the longer your good history, you have an "artificially" higher score. I have a score in the 700s and my bankruptcy discharge will be 10 years old in October this year. What's going to happen to my score when October arrives? Thanks!
TU 786 2/27/10
EQ 795 2/27/10
Bankruptcy 1997 - Have faith, time and strict credit habits and you'll heal (almost) all wounds.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: What about negative effects on credit score after bankruptcy drops off?

This can happen.. Any drop would be short lived, however.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}