cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What actions can be taken for deliberate inaccurate reporting by OC?

tag
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

What actions can be taken for deliberate inaccurate reporting by OC?

Back in September-2009 I filed a dispute with an OC and came back validated.  The following month in October I checked my score and report to find that my score sanked 30 points and the OC inserted that I was 120 days late as recent as September of 2008. 

All previous reports show that I went 30, 60, 90 & 120 days late from 11-03 until 2004.  They inserted that I made all payments after this date and then all of a sudden, went 120 days late in September of 2008.  They haven't received a dime from me since 2003 after I lost my job.  They retaliated because I filed a dispute with the CRB's.  These two accounts with this creditor is scheduled to fall off November of this year but can I file something with the CRB on violation of the FCRA to have these accounts deleted due to inaccurate reporting.  I don't want to file another dispute with the OC out of fear of  another retaliation, I just want this manually looked at for accuracy.  I have previous reports that proves this discrepancy from Sept-09 to Oct-09 reports.  I know I could wait for deletion but I really need to get a high limit cc with a low APR to do a BT on three high interest and high balance cards before then. 

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

Starting Score: EQ 729, TU 752, EX ? (1/1/2011)
Current Score: EQ 696, TU 718, EX 686 - PSECU (5/17/2011)
Goal Score: ALL 800+ by December 31, 2011

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
PROUD MEMBER OF THE 700 CLUB!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What actions can be taken for deliberate inaccurate reporting by OC?

As long you owe them money, they can report late payments.

It sounds as though it is being reported as a CO.  Sometimes they will show several months of good payments, then 120 days late, followed by another several months of good payments, etc.

What exactly is it that you are disputing and what did you dispute in 2009?

Since this is due to fall off November 2010, I would leave it alone.  Is it still within your state's SOL?

Message 2 of 7
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

That's exactly what they did, showed years of good payments and then a 120 days late, followed by good payments, there are no updates since October-09, when they did it.  I think i'm going to take your advice and leave it alone.  I called the EQ and the rep basically told me in so many words that they report whatever the creditor report and that we, the consumers have no rights.  I told him that they put the 120 days in there just to make it look like a recent missed payment as retaliation for disputing.  He said they could have at that time noticed the missed payment and reported just then.  I decided at that moment that the CRB's are not looking out for our best interest and that their sole purpose is to represent the creditors.  I will try my best to ignore these two accounts and wait for deletion. 

I know the creditor will not sue me because a judgement was filed already.  I was able to talk to the CA  and they removed the account from their system last year.  When I realized this, I filed a dispute that the account was not mine and both the CA tradeline and the Judgment were deleted.  When I initially contacted the CA, I told them my story and that I wanted to be responsible for my debt and pay the amount in full (no settlement) over time.  They told me they would look into it and call me back, when they didn't, I called them and the person answering the phone said they had no record of me.  When I sent a letter the OC CEO that i would like to pay the account and asked for a GW deletion, he kindly denied me on the basis that they are audited and the company have an obligation to report true and accurate information.  He then directed me to their CA, which I already know, they removed me from their system.  I wanted to write back and tell him that his employees are not reporting true and accurate information to the EQ, but I didn't write back. 

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The CRA CSR is correct that they put in what the creditor reports, she is sadly mistaken however in saying the consumer has no rights.

Another misunderstanding is that, when asked for a GW deletion, it is denied based on they have to report true and accurate information.  There is no requirement for a creditor to report any TL to a CRA but, if they do, it must be true and accurate.  Many times it is read as they have to report, period.

It is a creditors right to report or not.

Message 4 of 7
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply!  The letter I received back from the CEO said they must report true and accurately.  So now that without a shadow of a doubt, I know that they are not reporting accurately, can I do anything about it?  EQ rep says, I have to take that issue up directly with the OC because they cannot disprove them.  He also said they won't do a manual review of the TL because all disputes are initiated electronically to the creditors.  Also the rep didn't really say that consumers have no rights, but that's what I figured with all he said, basically, no matter what I said or prove, the creditor is right and they must report what they say.  That is not fair to consumers.  I am really afraid to contact the profit and loss rep handling my account because this person is obviously evil and has no conscience. 

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

This account is due to come off around November.  I would leave it alone.

Message 6 of 7
Kiwill
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your input, i really do appreciate it!!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.