cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the chances of Equifax fixing a mistake on the credit report?

tag
tempnexus

What are the chances of Equifax fixing a mistake on the credit report?

So i got my quarterly MyFico report, and I saw that my score jumped up.  So I decided to pay extra and file for equifax report.  After getting my equifax score I noticed that it was lower and that it showed "1" Collection.   That threw me since for the past few years I have been watching my bills like a hawk.  So I look at the Collection reported by Equifax and it's currently has been in Collection since March of 2010.  The report of first deliquancy was April of 2009, the date assigned (to I assume the collection agency) was 12/2009.  But it's for an amount I can't recall ($2500.00) and for a doctor I never had.  Besides I have health insurance so that bill is sky high in the first place.  Then I check my Transunion (the one I initally pulled) and that deliquancy is not reported there (only Equifax has it).

Seeing that, I decided to file an online Dispute with Equifax stating that it's a wrong report regarding the deliquancy. 

Now my questions are:

1) What are my chances of Equifax fixing this?  (I have never received that medical bill, this is the first time seeing this)

2) What proof do I have to provide...I honestly don't know how can I prove that I am innocent since how can you proof something that you didn't do?

3) How can I check if it's a honest mistake or if someone stole my Identity?

I don't want this to ruin my credit score especially after all this time I've spent rebuilding it.  (Besides I don't want to pay $2500.00 for something that I didn't do).

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What are the chances of Equifax fixing a mistake on the credit report?

I think you should consider handling this as an identity theft/'fraud issue.

What that means is that you have something posted to your CR that did not involve any transaction you were aware of, or authorized.

If  you follow the proper process, then you can requrie the CRA to block this from your CR.

The process involves two steps.

First, you go to your local police station, and file what the FCRA calls an "identity theft report"  (FCRA 603(q)), which is what most of us call a "police report."

That does not requrie proof of anything, only an accurate allegation of the facts.  That is a legal document, since it advises you of possible criminal penatlies for false statements made therein.

Second, you send a copy of the "identity theft (police) report" to the CRA, under the provisions of a cover letter under FCRA 605B. which requests blocking of the information from your CR.  Include your copy of the police report, along with the statement that "the information is not information relaiting to any transaction by the consumer."  See FCRA 605B(a).

YOu are correct.  This whole process was set up by congress so that the consumer does not have to first "prove" anthing, but only that they assert under law that their allegations are in good faith.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.