cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the permissible purposes for a collector?

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What are the permissible purposes for a collector?

I would LOVE to see a list of codes used by the CRAs to report credit inquiries.  Not just a list of types of inquiries, but the actual codes, and which of those codes are scored by FICO, and which are not, which in the end is the real definition of a soft vs hard inquiry.

For example, you apply for new credit.  Unquestionably, they have a permissible purpose, and unquestionably could code their inquiry such that it is included in FICO scoring.  Scoring consumer efforts to acquire new credit is, after all, a primary reason why inquries are reported and coded.

So, in that scenario, what optional code or codes would be available to a creditor to legitimatley and accurately record their inquiry as a permissible pull based on a request for new credit initiated by the consumer?  It seems a bit contrary to me to have an inquiry code to record the primary reason why inquiries are scored, and yet have that code be one that FICO  to ignores in its scoring.  Are those creditors who are reporting a "soft pull" doing so under a code that accurately reflects the purpose of the inquiry?  Puzzles me how this works.......

Message 11 of 13
Downto0
Regular Contributor

Right. 

I may be able to shed some light on the issue after some court action.   My NACA attorney, who is filing suit for me against the JDB for other FDCPA violations,  wanted me to send him copies of my letter to TransUnion and their answer on their letter head.  He also thinks that disputing is very much a process of litigating as one must be seen as going to the source of the problem rather than just filing suit and expecting the court take care of the matter. 

I don't understand why TransUnion seems to be going out of their way to "not find" the inquiry in the first place.  I don't buy that they simply missed the last inquiry which should still be listed.  Nevertheless, this will be my suggestion to them to give them a possible out.  It is my purpose to elicit their help in sending me evidence against the JDB, not to look for violations to sue TransUnion.  Regardless, by the time my attorney wishes to draw them into the fray, they will have been given ample opportunity to cooperate in my investigation of the inquiries and ultimately, had not only had failed to produce but willfully chose to cover up violations.

My JDB is a huge JDB and, according to the cr's from the Big 3, does business exclusively with TransUnion.  I can understand why they would want to protect one of their cash cows but a good lawsuit will put a big bite into those profits.  The cases I have read reveal that courts do not like it when any CRA violates the sanctity of personal financial records of consumers and assess high punitive damages along with the regular statutory damages.

The problem probably is that thousands of consumers threaten to sue but only a handful actually file.

Message 12 of 13
quest208
Frequent Contributor

fcra is a tough nut to crack.  

im not an attorney and i can barely wrap my head around some of my concerns about it.

keep us posted

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.