cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your thoughts on Dave Ramsey?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are your thoughts on Dave Ramsey?

He targets the general population with his advice. We're not the general population.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have some real problems with Dave, but still find his show overall entertaining. Mainly do the callers and their stories. Here are my major problems with his teachings.

• 12% average returns on mutual funds, I have yet to hear him mention a specific one of these unicorn funds.
  • Never ever using a credit card. Unrealistic and can negatively impact FICOs and in turn insurance rates, interest rates, and so on.
  • Fails to mention loan forgiveness programs. Especially for public service professionals or teachers who call in. Yes student loan debt is out of control, however rushing to pay it down as quickly as possible is not the answer in every circumstance.
  • Charging people money for his programs. In fairness to him though he does offer a lot of advice (good or not) for free. I have also enjoyed using some of the free finance tools on his website. It is one thing to sell books, but to me the financial peace university thing is a bridge too far.

PS: If you want to listen to a family friendly financial show, check out Clark Howard. He offers every show for free as a podcast and the sound quality is fantastic. You can also listen on the radio, but in my area the signal is poor. Give it a shot, and you will not be disappointed. He also offers travel advice, talks about financial news, and tries to protect his listeners from financial harm.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree 100%.  Clark Howard is far more rational and has far less the feel of a creepy televanagelist than DR.

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree 100%.  Clark Howard is far more rational and has far less the feel of a creepy televanagelist than DR.

OMG, so this.  Also, your creepy televangelist descriptioni is the nice version of how I feel towards him and his "teachings".

Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Laughed out loud at the creepy televangelist description, he does come off very preachy and often rude to his callers. I just take everything that comes out of DRs mouth with a big grain of salt. 

Message 25 of 27
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Here is a quote from Helaine Olen.

"One of my complaints with the whole personal-finance industrial complex is the censorious, judgmental tone, that all too often sounds like a modern updating of a Victorian morality tract, complete with the wealthy so-called personal-finance experts lecturing the less financially well-off on how to behave."

Message 26 of 27
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OMG, so this.  Also, your creepy televangelist descriptioni is the nice version of how I feel towards him and his "teachings".

delete.gif

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.