Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can the lenders see?

tag
JohnJRambo
Established Member

What can the lenders see?

What can lenders see on your credit report when they pull for loans? (mortgage, auto, personal, etc.)

Is it different depending on the type of loan and the amount of money involved?

The reason I'm asking is because I defaulted on some student loans years ago, and they are not on my credit report any longer. I still pay the loan every month through the company they have collecting the debt on their behalf (collection company)

Is there any way legally or other wise that this information can be obtained and obstruct lending from taking place? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: What can the lenders see?

I believe mortgage can see collections that are not on your reports, there is a whole lot that one goes through to obtain a Mortgage.  The rest no.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FCRA is federal law, and makes no distinction in its exclusion provisions that is based on the type of credit the inquiree is providing.

The exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a) apply to all (except for federal student loans), with the only exemption from credit report exclusion being for the reasons set forth in FCRA 605(b), which provides:

"FCRA 605(b) Exempted cases  The provisions of paragraphs (1) through (5) of sub-section (a) of this section are not applicable in the case of any consumer credit report to be used in connection with

• (1) a credit transaction involving, or which may reasonably be expected to involve, a principal amount of $150,000 or more;
  • (2) the underwriting of life insurance involving, or which may reason-ably be expected to involve, a face amount of $150,000 or more; or
  • (3) the employment of any individual at an annual salary which equals, or which may reasonably be expected to equal $75,000, or more."

If a mortgage loan is in an amount of $150K or more, then the creditor can request and receive a full factual credit report that includes any and all derogs that are normally excluded.  They need only certify that their inquiry involves a reqested loan in the amount of $150K or more.

However, anecdotal posts here in the forum indicate that creditors rarely order such reports, and instead usually limit themselves to requring the consumer to list only unpaid, delinquent debt in their loan application.

Message 3 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

They see what's on your report.  If it's not on your report it's not on your report.

However, keep in mind that the big 3 CRA's aren't the only reporting agenices used by creditors. http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201604_cfpb_list-of-consumer-reporting-companies.pdf

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Very interesting. So on the mortgage example, they can see old collection accounts that weren't ever paid off? Or even if it was paid off?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
Very interesting. So on the mortgage example, they can see old collection accounts that weren't ever paid off? Or even if it was paid off?

Only if they request the full report.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.