cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do to get rid of these dc parking tickets on my cr?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do I do to get rid of these dc parking tickets on my cr?

I have parking tickets from years ago that my boyfriend got in DC while using my car.  We have since broken up and I have discovered these gems while visiting the dc DMV for something else.  I have read here that I send a letter to the credit agencies requesting they verify the debt.  

Is this true?  and if so do I send it to all 3 agencies? 

And then I read that DC has 30 days to verify the debt and if they DON'T respond within 30 days the debt is removed.

Is it really that simple?

Is the debt removed from my credit report AND the DC DMV records as well?? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What do I do to get rid of these dc parking tickets on my cr?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have parking tickets from years ago that my boyfriend got in DC while using my car.  We have since broken up and I have discovered these gems while visiting the dc DMV for something else.  I have read here that I send a letter to the credit agencies requesting they verify the debt.  

Is this true?  and if so do I send it to all 3 agencies? 

And then I read that DC has 30 days to verify the debt and if they DON'T respond within 30 days the debt is removed.

Is it really that simple?

Is the debt removed from my credit report AND the DC DMV records as well?? 

You DV who posted to your TL, not the CRA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Just an FYI - the DC DMV has a LONG memory...like way past the 3 yrs...and the 7 yrs.

Best if you can pay them off.  They do turn them over to a CA, but the last time I talked to them, they said they would accept a payment over the phone.  (They wanted me to pay my brother in laws tickets going back to 2002!  I politely declined.  BIL had tickets for parking, speeding, and expired tags.  A letter came to my address which prompted me to call DC DMV to find out what was going on.)

Message 3 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am assuming from the facts stated that the OC (the DC gvmt) never reported the original delinquency to the CRAs, and that is appearing in your CR only as a collection of the delinquent debt by a debt collector.

DV requests, as stated, are only made to debt collectors, not creditors.  So you cant DV the OC, and if they never reported, you cant dispute with them the accuracy of the debt itself. 

If you DV the debt collector, that does not impose upon them any requirement to provide the requested validation, let alone impose any period for their doing so.

It would, if timely, impose a cease further collection bar upon them until such time as they chose to provide the requested verification.

Failure to have provided debt verification is not improper, and is not basis for asserting CR deletion.

In the posted situation, it appears as if the collections were reported some time ago.  Assuming the debt collector provided prior dunning notice, any DV request sent more than 30-days after that dunning notice would be untimely, and thus would not impose a cease collection bar on them.  They could legally choose to ignore it, and simply proceed with their collection activities.

If deletion of the collection prior to its normal CR exclusion date is the goal, then a PFD offer is the path, not any violation or requirement of the FCRA or FDCPA.

As an aside, CR deletion or exclusion does not "remove the debt."  It only removes the fact of its existence from being discovered by others by a pull of your CR.

It does not require anyone to delete their own internal records, or prohibit them from making that fact known to others by means other than your CR.

Message 4 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

PS - If the DC DMV treated your tickets like they did my BIL, they will not show up on the credit report.   His had not when I was helping him clean up his credit.   When I had called the DMV regarding the letter, they gave me a list (yes, a list) of BIL's violations and asked me to pay the tab..   Some of those tickets went back to 2002 and the most recent was 2011.

DMV said they did not care who was in the car at the time.  The tickets were issued to the registered owner of the car.  They did not want to hear a "he said, she said".  They want the money paid.

Message 5 of 12
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I had a similar situation when I discovered that my daughter had gotten a parking ticket while using my car hours and miles away from home.

I didn't know it had happened until I pulled my credit one day and there was actually a judgment on my credit report from the city where she'd gotten the ticket. I paid it because I wanted the judgment to show paid. I also put a statement on my credit report stating that it was for a parking ticket. Also, what had started as likely a minimal ticket dollar amount had grown to over $200. I'm sure there were lots of fees added on during this debt's journey to the courthouse.

It was a long few years waiting for that paid judgment to finally fall off my report. Until it did, of course, it reported as a "Public Record." Not good.

My advice is to deal with this, and deal with it now.

Message 6 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

This is one of those subjects I have problems with.  First, "we don't care who was at fault", pay us."  Secondly you are paying to park in an area that is already funded by taxes.  Seems redundant.  Just my opinion though.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 12
GregB
Valued Contributor

Actually, they mean "we don't care WHO was driving, the responsibility lies with the OWNER of the car". Just be glad the driver only got a parking ticket as they could have had an accident where the owner would be responsible.

Message 8 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Jazzzy - in your case, I am not sure why you didn't receive any paper notifications of what was going on....they knew you were the registered owner and they had to have pulled the records to know that...unless the address was registered with where you daughter lived?

Message 9 of 12
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

Regardless of how you deal with the debt (more experienced posters here on this than me) I think you should SUE the ex in small claims court for the damages. 

Unless you think he'd come after you with a gun or something.  Make the bastid pay!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.