Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do apartment management look for?

tag
Greene718
Contributor

What do apartment management look for?

I am looking to get an apartment later on in the year and just wanted everyone who has had some type of exp with this to answers. When apartment management run your credit what exactly are they looking at? I dont have the best credit right now but I am positive that at the end of the year it will look a little better.

Starting Score: EX 552 TU 652
Current Score: EQ 627 TU 715
Goal Score: EQ 670 TU 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: What do apartment management look for?

It depends on the company or the apartment complex. 

I have seen some that require a certain FICO score, others that require no collections, paid or other wise; most will look for evictions or monies owed to a former landlord.  Some want you to make 3-4 times the rent amount.

I do not have the best credit either.  What I have found to work for me is to be completely honest with them.  I found the place I wanted to rent and met face to face with the manager when I went to look at the place.  I told them all about my credit and what was on my CR.  I also had copies of my pay statements showing I made more than enough money to cover the rent. 

So far I have never been turned down.

Message 2 of 7
Greene718
Contributor

Thanks for replying. I hear a lot of people say just to be honest with them. This would be my first apartment though so i have no landlords on my acct at all. I hope that isnt a problem. But i will def try to take care of most of the collections on my acct before I even apply just so that wont be a major issue.

Starting Score: EX 552 TU 652
Current Score: EQ 627 TU 715
Goal Score: EQ 670 TU 750

Message 3 of 7
Regular Contributor

When I got my first apartment which was just under two years ago, I was upfront with the property manager.  I explained to them that it was my first apartment, but I had good credit.  Her response to me was, "Well you have to start somewhere."  If you're working on your credit, I would just be honest with them before they look at your report.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: 7/8/10: TU - 738 EQ - 750
Previous Score: 1/22/10: TU - 703 EQ - 714
Goal Score: 750

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not aware of how big they are but there is a relatively new company called Resident Data Services that act like a CRA for renters. I was in an apartment for two years here in Dallas. Spotless record. Moved away for 1.5 years to NY. Tried to come back to the same complex who had by now hired RDS and was denied because of a blemish 7+ years prior on my rental record. I will search by I think a new thread is in order...
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Greene718 wrote:
Thanks for replying. I hear a lot of people say just to be honest with them. This would be my first apartment though so i have no landlords on my acct at all. I hope that isnt a problem. But i will def try to take care of most of the collections on my acct before I even apply just so that wont be a major issue.

No, that would be a good thing.  Rent/landlords are never on your CR unless it is an eviction or you owe them for something.
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I am not aware of how big they are but there is a relatively new company called Resident Data Services that act like a CRA for renters. I was in an apartment for two years here in Dallas. Spotless record. Moved away for 1.5 years to NY. Tried to come back to the same complex who had by now hired RDS and was denied because of a blemish 7+ years prior on my rental record. I will search by I think a new thread is in order...

These kind of companies are all over the US.  Different ones in different states.  The one my property management used was someone else.

No matter what these companies say, it is still up to the landlord and/or management company if they will to rent to you.

If you still have a blemish on your CR that is over 7 years old it should not be there, unless it is an unpaid tax lien, which can stay forever.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.