cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does canceled by credit grantor mean?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does canceled by credit grantor mean?

I just logged onto credit karma and I had an alert for my credit card being closed. It was a secured card that I closed since I no longer needed it. I got it to build my credit history and got my first unsecured card in Aug. What exactly does remarks: canceled by credit grantor mean? will this hurt my credit score? I never missed a payment and always paid in full every month. It also says account status: closed - paid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What does canceled by credit grantor mean?

The remark means that the lender extending the credit to you closed the account, and not you the consumer. The remark doesn't directly affect your credit, but future creditors might not like to see it. If you did in fact close the account at your request, then I would call and talk to the company about this.

Message 2 of 9
ERoosky99
Regular Contributor

@-NewGuy- wrote:

The remark means that the lender extending the credit to you closed the account, and not you the consumer. The remark doesn't directly affect your credit, but future creditors might not like to see it. If you did in fact close the account at your request, then I would call and talk to the company about this.

+1

Call the lender.  I made the mistake of disputing an old account with Bank of America that said this, and they deleted it from all three of my credit reports.  It was not a negative account; had no late payment history.  However, I disputed it because I made the decision to close the account, not credit grantor.  Lesson learned.

Current FICOs: (11-02-15) EQ- 623 (628) / EX- 643 / TU- 679
Starting FICOs: (May 2014) Low to mid 500s (all 3 bureaus)
GOAL: As HIGH as possible! All 3 FICOs above 680/700 will be NICE!!!
Total Credit Limits- $104,120
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do. I actually have the letter they sent me and it says "as you requested, we've closed your credit card account."

Message 4 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Yes it's not really negative. As many can close. No reason. But. If you closed. Just ask them to chage this notation. Closed by consumer request. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this credit card still show up on my credit report and count toward my AAoA?

Message 6 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Will do. I actually have the letter they sent me and it says "as you requested, we've closed your credit card account."

That should be enough. Call up the creditor and explain that you have the letter, and simply want the comment to be changed to closed at consumer's request.

Message 7 of 9
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Will this credit card still show up on my credit report and count toward my AAoA?

Yep. All they need to do is edit the comment attacted to their reporting.

Message 8 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I just logged onto credit karma and I had an alert for my credit card being closed. It was a secured card that I closed since I no longer needed it. I got it to build my credit history and got my first unsecured card in Aug. What exactly does remarks: canceled by credit grantor mean? will this hurt my credit score? I never missed a payment and always paid in full every month. It also says account status: closed - paid. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The final decision is yours of course but I would leave this alone.

This is not hurting your score and IMO future creditors will not care who closed the account.

Just my 2 cents.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.