Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if Equifax does not respond in 30 days

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens if Equifax does not respond in 30 days

I did an online dispute with Equifax last month. They said they would be done my Dec 22. It still says pending. I havent heard from them. Its been over 30 days since I got there email saying they were going to look into it and contact me back in 30 days. Since they didnt get back to me within 30 days will they remove it from my credit report?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What happens if Equifax does not respond in 30 days

The FCRA requires that they complete their reinvestigation within 30 days for filing (unless the consumer provides new info after filing the original dispute, which would then extend the reinvestigation period to 45 days).  They then have another 5 business days to send their Notice of Results of Reinsvestigation.

The FCRA requires that if they cannot correct or dont verify within the statutory period, they must delete the disputed information, but may reinsert once they have necessary info to correct or verify.  Deletion is not absolute/permanent, but if deletion occurs due to lack of verification, then the CRA must send written notice to the consumer if/when they reinsert.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.