cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I pay off a majority of a loan early?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens if I pay off a majority of a loan early?

I have a small personal loan with Avant of $2000, and got it just to have a loan on my report (because the reports were always bugging me about not having one)..

What would happen if I payed off, say $1500 right now.

Would my term shorten and keep the same monthly payment, or would the term same the same and my monthly payment would be smaller?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What happens if I pay off a majority of a loan early?

Monthly payment would be smaller.

Message 2 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a small personal loan with Avant of $2000, and got it just to have a loan on my report (because the reports were always bugging me about not having one)..

Be careful with those reasons.  Generally, it's not advisable to open an account simply for scoring purposes though some choose to do so anyway.  Any benefit from an installment will be lost if you pay it off.  I know that's now what you're asking.  To answer your question you'd have to review the terms.  All loans are not the same.  Some loans will continue with the same payment structure until paid off even if one pays in advance -- unless one refinances the loan.  I can't speak to Avant specifically.  You may want to see if there is a relevant prior thread.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=avant%20loan%20early%20pay%20site%3Aficoforums.myfico.com

Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Monthly payment never changes on a fixed payment loan, which I think all personal loans are.  LOC's are the ones with variable payment structures.

What will happen functionally is just like a regular payment on any simple interest loan: it will zero out the interest, and then the rest is applied to principal.

Where it gets confusing and is lender by lender basis, they can do one of three things:

1) Not change the next payment date (or to be precise, only count it for the next payment)

2) Push the payment date a fixed period of time (DCU for example, 3 months).

3) Push the payment date far into the future (like my Alliant loan next payment 12/2018) applying the large payment to successful regular payments.  Most lenders I believe do this but there are exceptions.

I don't know on Avant in particular, OP in your situation if you made the payment see what you get.  If it doesn't push the date out, just pay it off and open up a $500 secured loan with Alliant, pay it down to $20 or whatever, and then let it hang out making a $1 payment or whatever every six months.

@takeshi: I don't agree with you on this one Smiley Happy.  Someone who doesn't have an open installment loan can tack on an extra 20-45 points to their FICO 8 scores just by doing this, for less money than it takes to check a credit score.  Absolutely worthwhile investment.

        
Message 4 of 8
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Monthly payment never changes on a fixed payment loan, which I think all personal loans are.  LOC's are the ones with variable payment structures.

What will happen functionally is just like a regular payment on any simple interest loan: it will zero out the interest, and then the rest is applied to principal.

Where it gets confusing and is lender by lender basis, they can do one of three things:

1) Not change the next payment date (or to be precise, only count it for the next payment)

2) Push the payment date a fixed period of time (DCU for example, 3 months).

3) Push the payment date far into the future (like my Alliant loan next payment 12/2018) applying the large payment to successful regular payments.  Most lenders I believe do this but there are exceptions.

I don't know on Avant in particular, OP in your situation if you made the payment see what you get.  If it doesn't push the date out, just pay it off and open up a $500 secured loan with Alliant, pay it down to $20 or whatever, and then let it hang out making a $1 payment or whatever every six months.

@takeshi: I don't agree with you on this one Smiley Happy.  Someone who doesn't have an open installment loan can tack on an extra 20-45 points to their FICO 8 scores just by doing this, for less money than it takes to check a credit score.  Absolutely worthwhile investment.

+1

Couldn't agree more and "CAN" prove beneficial for your profile going forward.

Some useful FACTS and heavy discussion:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/td-p/4055989/page/32

Message 5 of 8
Grafton88
Established Contributor

Are you on an auto payment scheme?  If so and you pay off $1500 your term could be much shorter.

I got a loan from NFCU in January.  I don't have auto pay.  I have paid off 80% of the loan which has a 1 year term.  My next payment is due in November.  I will make tiny monthly payments until next January.

I would check your loan contract to see your payment schedule.  If need be call Avant and talk to a representitive.

I think a loan like this can be helpful net only for scoring but also to develop a relationship with a bank or CU.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You would reach $0 principal balance quicker, and thus the term would shorten.

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

You would reach $0 principal balance quicker, and thus the term would shorten.

Not by much depending on how the lender implements their system; for example prepaying a 5 year loan down by 95% from the start, if they move the payment due date way out in the future, you only lose a few months off your original term.

If you decide to keep paying your regular payment, then yes term would reduce, but it's not mandatory and I would argue and it's really not in one's best FICO interest, and when we're talking small principal left on a much larger loan, and even smaller interest on that, the financial penalty becomes sort of trivial for pretty much everyone when it the cost is giving up one Starbucks coffee a year or thereabouts, and maybe less.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.