cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to my score if I request a credit line increase on an existing account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens to my score if I request a credit line increase on an existing account?

We are in the process of moving and need some new furniture. My furniture store (where I already have a credit card with almost no balance) is having a great sale and 30 months no-interest.  What would happen if I ask them to consider raising my limit?  The purchases wouldn't show on the card until after we close on the house. I just don't want to risk anything funky happening to my score. Also, I'm just the co-buyer. My husband is the primary on our home purchase and he isn't linked to that account.  Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What happens to my score if I request a credit line increase on an existing account?

Chovy wrote:
We are in the process of moving and need some new furniture. My furniture store (where I already have a credit card with almost no balance) is having a great sale and 30 months no-interest.  What would happen if I ask them to consider raising my limit?  The purchases wouldn't show on the card until after we close on the house. I just don't want to risk anything funky happening to my score. Also, I'm just the co-buyer. My husband is the primary on our home purchase and he isn't linked to that account.  Any thoughts?

Depends on whether they do a soft or hard pullto consider an increase.  An inquiry would have minimal effect unless you've been running all over town applying.  If so, rethink it. Credit card companies are tightening up on existing customers that have a high number of inquiries on their credit reports.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.