cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when a collection is paid off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens when a collection is paid off?

I recently looked at my credit score for the first time. I had a $1,400 charge off that went to a collection agency. I've since paid the collection agency through a credit card, and they have agreed to remove the account. That still leaves me with the original charge off. Does that get removed too? Or does it remain, but with a paid charge off status? Any idea of how much, if any positive effect paying this debt off could have on my credit score? I also have a $400 collection from a traffic ticket that was paid and still shows as unpaid. I'm disputing that one. The only other negative was two late payments back in 2001. My score is 521. Pretty lousy. I'm trying to clean it up to apply for a mortgage.

Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: What happens when a collection is paid off?

Once an account goes to collection and/or gets charged off the damage is done.   The CR scoring systems and FICO'S scoring systems don't reward paying off charged off collections.   But the good news is the debt is gone,  if they were reporting monthly than those dings will stop.

As for your first question about the original creditor reporting a charge off, well that depends on whether or not they sold the debt to the CA or just assigned it too them.   If they sold the debt than the deal was made with the CA and not the orignal creditor.    you can try either a good will letter or dispute it with all three CRB's in hopes that don't respond and will automatically get dropped off.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When my wife made a deal to pay collections,  it acctualy droped her score 40 points for 3 collections.

She paid them off, and score di not change.

But paing off collections is a good thing, specially when you go and applay for the house loan.

Good luck!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For how long do you feel the sting after paying off a previously reported collection?
Message 4 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

mattwarner wrote:
For how long do you feel the sting after paying off a previously reported collection?

IMO, the sting itself and the long term affects will depend on your overall file. Regardless, its no secret that paying collections can hurt your score. Does that mean you shouldn't pay them? Of course not! Paid collections obviously look better than non paid in a manual review. But, PFD is the best option.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an oft repeated story, and it's the reason I am so adamant on the issue. I hear it over and over again. Experienced it myself. Got a collection, paid it, and saw NO IMPROVEMENT to my FICO score.

Always DV a CA.

Always pursue a PFD, and never pay a collection without a PFD unless you absolutely have to, like lawsuit action under SOL or a prime mortgage lender requiring it.

Opinions vary, and that's mine.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
This is an oft repeated story, and it's the reason I am so adamant on the issue. I hear it over and over again. Experienced it myself. Got a collection, paid it, and saw NO IMPROVEMENT to my FICO score.

Always DV a CA.

Always pursue a PFD, and never pay a collection without a PFD unless you absolutely have to, like lawsuit action under SOL or a prime mortgage lender requiring it.

Opinions vary, and that's mine.

Your opinion is wisdom.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.