Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a normal amount of HP's?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a normal amount of HP's?

I am just curious. What do you consider a normal amount of HP's over a 24 month period?

How many do you have? And how HP's is too many?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kirmie2010
Established Contributor

Re: What is a normal amount of HP's?

Normal over the last 2 years?  Dont know if its normal but id say under 5.

I have on TU 28, Ex 51 and EQ 38

I dont think there is a "too many"

Your report score will drop with too many, some lenders wont approve with too many.  Then again, I was getting cards with 50+ inquiries so not every company cares so much about that.  (most majors do)

Message 2 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There are no one-size-fits-all answers for these questions.  People have widely varying numbers of HP's.  The impact of an HP varies by credit profile so 1 can be too many for some while a dozen or more can be no big deal for others.

Further, I wouldn't recommend defining "too many" based solely on approvals.  An approval is a low bar to set.  If your number of inquiries is impacting the terms offered then you may be at a point where you have "too many".

@pricetyler wrote:

How many do you have?

3 with TU.  11 with EQ.  Can't recall with EX.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think what's normal in real life and what's normal for the forum are two completely different things. Most people probably don't apply to often for new credit... I would guess probably under 5.

I have between 3 to 6.

Too many is dependent on individual profiles and lenders. I would guess anything from 1 to 100+.
Message 4 of 6
Berk
Established Contributor

@pricetyler wrote:

I am just curious. What do you consider a normal amount of HP's over a 24 month period?

How many do you have? And how HP's is too many?

I am going to hazard a guess that a general rule would be that the higher the credit score the lower the hard pulls. I believe I have 4-6 reflected on my reports but two drop off next month.

Message 5 of 6
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I would say 3-4 over a two year span on each report would be normal. This figures in car loan applications, credit cards, mortgage loans, cell phone companies. There are a few ways they add up with companies like Cap One triple pulling, but I just don't see the average person applying for too many things. 

I have between 4 and 6 depending on the report in the past 24 months.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.