Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the biggest boost or drop in FICO score

tag
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

What is the biggest boost or drop in FICO score

I had paid a $46 collection and my score boosted 43 points can't believe a $46 collection had that much effect on my score has anybody else had this kinda thing happen for the good or bad I'm just curious
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the biggest boost or drop in FICO score

last year I had a 1085 dollar collection from an apartment complex my ex wife had written me in on that I hadn't signed for removed and my score went from 536 to 639. My ex wife has a score in the mid 400's right now is my guess just from seeing what has been removed from my credit and what must be on hers. 

Message 2 of 14
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

That is nice boost congrats
Message 3 of 14
VirusCredit13
Regular Contributor

@Tomgon1981 wrote:
I had paid a $46 collection and my score boosted 43 points can't believe a $46 collection had that much effect on my score has anybody else had this kinda thing happen for the good or bad I'm just curious

I believe the simple fact of having an unpaid collection hurts your score a good bit regardless of the battle. With larger balances it will just hurt even more. I believe with some of the newer scoring models small collection don't hurt you as much.

Biggest drop would probably just having a bankruptcy added to report I'm sure.

Not sure about biggest boost, as it takes time for positive factors to give larger point increases. If you could give a 20 year boost to your reports AAoA/ontime payment history, that would probably be biggest boost.

Message 4 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

Grats on your score increase and if it was your only derog reporting then that would cause a good bump when it dropped off. For Fico 8 they also discount paid collections under 100.

Message 5 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Tomgon1981 wrote:

Why can't you believe it?  Derogs like that are considered a major risk factor and weigh in heavily on scoring.  Creditors can only assess you on your track record and if you have a collection that's a major red flag.  Other derogs are also significant red flags indicating that you don't have a good history of paying your debts and/or paying them on time.  If you have a friend that never pays you back aren't you going to be a bit leery about lending him money?  With a creditor you aren't even friends to begin with and it's all business and about risk analysis.

See also:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Derogs will kill your Payment History which is why we always start with "address your derogs first".  Revolving Utilization is often suggested as something to look at since it falls under Amounts Owed, the second biggest slice.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My tax lien recently vanished from my TU report. Score jumped 72 points from 719 to 791, now it's 796. I wish it would vanish from the other two.

Message 7 of 14
ddemari
Super Contributor

Last month a 7 year old collection fell off my report and my score was boosted 56 points. That was the biggest jump I have ever seen. 

Message 8 of 14
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

If you're talking about simple FICO scores, Id say the biggest (immeditate) boost is being added as an AU on a high-limit, no balance, and very well well aged credit card account. Pick the right card from someone you trust and you can gain 10, 20, 50 points easily depending on your current standing.

Obvious largest negatives would be bankruptcy, and foreclosure.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refied 6 student loans and took a near 20 point hit when they reported as "paid"

Hopeing they will bounce back when new loans report...

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.