cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your favorite card for building up credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is your favorite card for building up credit?

I thought it would be benifical to start a post about which card we though was best for building or rebuilding credit. It might be of help to those who don't know which card to go with; afterall there are many secured cards and subpar card offers avaliable to those just starting out.

For me if I could do it all over again and Discover It secured was avialble when I started; I would have went with Discover It instead of aimlessly applying at multiple stores only to get denied for no credit history.

What about you guys? I've read where some of you have started out with local credit unions while others have went down the road of a national bank such as Wellsfargo while others have gotten in with Bank of America.

Which one do you think beneifitted you most on your journey to building credit? Which one had the most freindly and helpful customer service? Which card for you had the best rewards structure? If you didnt start out secured what did you start out with? Has the company grown with you or kept you at your starting limit? Would you go down the route to credit you did if you had it to do all over again?

I think this post will be very itnersting and helpful to those who are new to credit. I know I wouldve loved to have all this information in one post instead of digging all across Myfico for info.

Regards

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What is your favorite card for building up credit?

USAA worked well for me though that was nearly 10 years ago.  I'm not sure how or if they have changed but at the time they offered me the highest limits and lowest APR's.  I still have my USAA cards even though the rewards aren't that great and they don't see much usage because the limits did grow as my credit improved.  Since they're well into the 5 digit range I keep them for revolving utilization padding.  The last CLI -- a week or two ago -- actually pushed me to their max exposure.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this post will be very itnersting and helpful to those who are new to credit. I know I wouldve loved to have all this information in one post instead of digging all across Myfico for info.

Good luck with that.  Countless prior threads have been created with the intent of being a sole resource on a given topic but these wheels keep getting reinvented over and over.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.