Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the attraction to AMEX?

tag
UnderEstimated
Contributor

Re: What's the attraction to AMEX?

I've had an AMEX Gold Rewards card for a little over a year now.  For me, the attraction were the rewards.  Not to mention, the flexibility I have with the card.  I can make several large purchases and have an extra month to pay them off without any interest. 
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their is a good point I can add. Every Amex basic rep has the same authority as 2nd and 3rd level reps at other banks. Sometimes when you want something done, it gets done on the spot instead of needed to ask for a manager or supervisor. Much less hassle.
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

ilovepizza wrote:
I've had "financial" reviews, but they did not show up on my credit reports. I had to show proof of income on the spot or loose my cards. The only thing that triggered that was a long history of minimum on time payments. Banks are getting very nervous these days.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 06-04-2007 12:59 PM

There is no reason for an FR to show up on one's CRs. It's not an INQ and it's not a TL.
Message 13 of 21
fused
Moderator Emeritus

How can I forget the rewards.  Geez I earn 2 points for every $1 I spend.
Message 14 of 21
sl
Established Contributor

Just never be late with them. They are horrible to deal with.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I had an AmEx Green card for 19 years. I recently closed it to get an AmEx Blue. They asked my household income and I said I'd prefer not to reply. I got a bit of pushback but eventually they approved it. The credit limit is $13,200. I don't know how on earth they got this number. Who knows what I told them 20 years ago about what I was doing or earning. I don't even remember. Smiley Happy
I called to ask for a CLI to $30,000 and again refused to provide HHI. They didn't ask about occupation. I'll let you know if I got an increase. They indicated my income as "0" because they didn't have a "prefer not to answer" option.

I think most of the FR's have come at higher CLI's. I'd be interested to see if you get the increase w/o providing the info. Some health CL's have been destroyed lately if you believe what you read over at CB.

They gave me a CL of $25,000.  No household income provided.  No occupation provided.  I don't think I've even used the old green card in the last few years.  So there you have it.
Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

masdeocho wrote:

They gave me a CL of $25,000.  No household income provided.  No occupation provided.  I don't think I've even used the old green card in the last few years.  So there you have it.

BTW, I wasn't posting this to brag.  Just to show how crazy the whole system is. 
Message 17 of 21
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

masdeocho wrote:

BTW, I wasn't posting this to brag.  Just to show how crazy the whole system is. 

Yea right.... Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an Amex just because as I was going through the whole credit repair process it was kind of like the symbolic prize for cleaning up my mess. Stupid reason, I know. But it still felt good!
Message 19 of 21
Lindy

I'm a newby. This is my first post. I got in bad credit trouble after a divorce a long time ago. Then, one day, an American Express Gold Card appeared in the mail. Like manna from heaven, because it was (is) so hard to rent a car or make a hotel reservation without plastic. I really needed it. It is still my top priority payment (after mortgage) and I nearly always pay it as soon as the bill comes. It is a charge card, not a credit card. They have offered my the Optima option many times, but I like the discipline. I pay the balance in full every month.
I travel a lot, and AmEx really does cater to travellers. There are places in Europe where an AmEx Gold or Platinum card still carries some real prestige. I lost my wallet in Sofia, Bulgaria a couple of years ago. I had a replacement Gold Card the very next day. Citibank Visa took ten days, and my local credit union issued debit card took almost a month.
I have rarely been late with a payment, but the few times I have been late it has only taken a phone call to get them to waive the late fee. Of course, at this point, I have a long and excellent track record with them.
I generally try to avoid using plastic. I give myself a cash allowance at the beginning of the month and use that for most incidentals, but I know I'm in the minority. At Brueggers the other day, someone was putting their bagel on plastic. Sheesh! $1.37 Sheesh!
Lindy in Boston

Their reward program is flexible too. Your not stuck with one hotel or airline program. Last month I stayed at Hampton Inn, Radisson, and took Amtrak, all on AmEx points. And the points don't expire!
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.