cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between a closed account and a collection?

tag
Sheisaking
Contributor

What's the difference between a closed account and a collection?

Hi!

I am reviewing my credit reports to make sure everything is accurate and I saw something the made me question. About 4 years ago, I had a repossession. The repossession is still reported on 2 of my credit reports. On my Equifax report, it's listed as a negative, but listed as a closed account, not a collection. Does that make a difference to potential new creditors? Is one better than the other? There is still a balance. Thanks in advance for your answers. 

Starting Score: 400s
Current Score: Equifax: 676, TransUnion: 710, Experian: 721
Goal Score: 750 or higher

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What's the difference between a closed account and a collection?

It definitely does make a difference.  One can have closed accounts that are positive factors.  However, a collection would not have a positive impact.  Make sure you're also looking at any remarks for your closed accounts.

A closed revolver with a balance can be negative in that they can report with 100% utilization.

Message 2 of 3
Sheisaking
Contributor

Re: What's the difference between a closed account and a collection?

@takeshi74 wrote:

It definitely does make a difference.  One can have closed accounts that are positive factors.  However, a collection would not have a positive impact.  Make sure you're also looking at any remarks for your closed accounts.

A closed revolver with a balance can be negative in that they can report with 100% utilization.

Great! Thank you.

Starting Score: 400s
Current Score: Equifax: 676, TransUnion: 710, Experian: 721
Goal Score: 750 or higher

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.