cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the highest score you stop getting lower rates?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the highest score you stop getting lower rates?

Obviously there are bragging rights to having an 800+ score (or any really high score), but from what I've seen as a newbie to credit scoring, there's a point where you're really not getting a tangible benefit to a higher credit score. Meaning, you're not getting a better interest rate for having a higher score.

Where is this point? 750-760 range? The FICO Scorewatch page seems to indicate that a 720+ will get you the best auto rates, and a 760+ the best mortgage rates. After these scores for the respective loans, is there a benefit to going higher?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: What's the highest score you stop getting lower rates?

Realistically the only real benefit is probably bragging rights.    There may be a few credit products where you can obtain better rates or benefits with a score higher than 760 but most high achievers probably won't see any difference.

ETA:   I am not a FICO high achiever so I am only speculating about this.   Smiley Tongue

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: What's the highest score you stop getting lower rates?

I believe you are very accurate. My Realtor and Loan Officer say 760 and up for the best mortage rates.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.