cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's worth a higher FICO score? Revolving or installment?

tag
paulko85
Established Member

What's worth a higher FICO score? Revolving or installment?

What is worth better for a better credit score? 

$30k credit card debt paid off in 60 months or;

$30k car loan paid off in 60 months?

I have a credit card.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Re: What's worth a higher FICO score? Revolving or installment?

Revolving of course. Depending on the utilization, paying off 30K in CC debt could yield a massive amount of points. Paying that same amount on a car in most cases yield no points.

I gained 60 points on my score when I paid off my CC's. I gained no points for paying off 3 cars in 1 month's time.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 2 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

@paulko85 wrote:

Reducing high CC utilization will do a lot more for your score than paying off an installment loan.

But if you do this over 60 months, the effect may be gradual, and there may be a lot of interest to pay.

A lot of people get an installment loan to clear out the CC debt.

Message 3 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@paulko85 wrote:

Reducing high CC utilization will do a lot more for your score than paying off an installment loan.

But if you do this over 60 months, the effect may be gradual, and there may be a lot of interest to pay.

How is this supposed to work?  The CC debt would still be there.

Message 4 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

@paulko85 wrote:

I simply mean shifting the CC debt to an installment loan.  I did this once via Lending Club.

Since these are scored differently, there's typically a score jump.

Message 5 of 9
tld409
Regular Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

@paulko85 wrote:

I simply mean shifting the CC debt to an installment loan.  I did this once via Lending Club.

Since these are scored differently, there's typically a score jump.

I didn't have as much cc debt but I did a similar thing by shifting cc debt to a CU installment loan earlier in the year. The CC rate was slightly lower at 9.9% and loan was 11.9%. My fico score climbed 20 points then. 

Starting Score 630 Score: Current FICO Scores: All above 725 (04/01/2015)
Sallie Mae World MC 9k; Chase Freedom 6.5k; CareCredit 13.2k; Amex BCP 21.8k;Amex PRG; BOA123 Visa Sig 20k; CapOne WMC 7.5K; CSP Visa Sig 2K; Citi Simp Visa 6.9k; CFCU Visa 17k; Discover IT 7K; JCP MC 8K; Macys Amex 7.5K/2k; PSECU Visa/PSL 20/20K; SamsClub MC 20k; Walmart 10k
Message 6 of 9
paulko85
Established Member

good info.

I had recently paid off one of my highest credit limit accounts with BofA. they had then offered me a 0% apr account for 16 months which i applied for and was denied. i called them and said to consolidate some of the credit from the account i paid off and i ended up opening a 10,000 credit account with 0% apr. i balance transfered approx 9.5k into this new account so i'm saving a bit of interest as i continue to pay off my debt... 

more recently, my friend loaned me a large sum o money for 5% interest and i paid off alll my debts (except the 0% account) and i'm just paying my friend and ultimately pocketing a nice chunk of interest payments. i'm excited to check my credit score in about a year when all my debt is gone. 

i think my score was lingering somewhere between 700 and 730 the last i checked a few years ago with a high debt ratio. i hope it goes to 800+ Smiley Very Happy

I have a credit card.
Message 7 of 9
RED_Knives
Valued Member

" I simply mean shifting the CC debt to an installment loan. I did this once via Lending Club.

Since these are scored differently, there's typically a score jump."

great idea did not realize these scored differently. Why would CC debt affect your fico in such a drastic way vs installment. monetarily if you have debt worth 1000 why would the CC be more harmful to fico?

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 730
Goal Score: 800

Credit Cards and Credit Limits: Barclay 7250, AMEX 2000, Discover 6250, Cap OnePlat 3000, BestBuy 3000, Chase 3500, Paypal 4300, Walmart 1000, BOA 2000, Kohls 800, Target RED 500, Les Schwab 500, TOTAL 34900 OldestAc1.8 years
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@paulko85 wrote:

As others have said, the loan is scored diffferently.  Since it's finite, having a specific amount and specific monthly payments, apparently FICO looks at that diffferently than revolving credit, which can be very fluid.  

I just took out a consolidation loan and paid off some credit cards, and got a 28-36 point score increase.  I'm expecting another 10-25 point increase when reports from March start showing up.  I also plan to pay off the installment loan in a few months when I retire, and I'm looking forward to my scores ending up in the 800 neighbourhood !

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.