cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do to remove this collection?

tag
Fixfico1990
Valued Member

What should I do to remove this collection?

I have a collection from a com,unity college for $185. I called the collection agency and told them that I would pay it off if they could delete the collection off of my report. They said they do not offer that service. What do I do?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: What should I do to remove this collection?

A GW letter attempt (multiple attempts if necessary) may be in order.  Just never know who may sympathetic to your plea.  Good luck!

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: What should I do to remove this collection?

The first issue prior to determining if you wisht to pursue payment of the debt is whether or not you consider the debt legitimate.

In that case, you may widh to first pursue a DV request if it has been 30 days or less since they sent dunning notice.

That will invoke a cease collection bar until such time as they have provided verification of the debt.

However, if you dont contest the legtimacy of the debt, you may wish to forgo sending a DV.

If your DV is timely, meaning t is sent either without prior dunning notice, or within 30 days of dunning notice, the cease collection bar that it automatically invokes will prevent the debt collectior from any negotiations with you, such as a settlement for less or a PFD offer.

If you wish to pursue a PFD offer, they apparently have a general policy not to do deltions based on payment, which is consistent with their credit reporting agrrement with the CRA.  Thus, I would recommend that you not send a PFD to their general mailing address, as it is likely to simply be declined based on their standard pollicy.

In such cases, you need to get your request before a higher management official who has the discretion to grant exceptions to their standard policy.

Hopefully, someone on the site who has experieced a PFD with that debt collector can provide you a contact name or phone number.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.