Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do, Plaza Associates

tag
headspin
New Contributor

What to do, Plaza Associates

About a year ago I disputed a collection on my credit report from Verizon Wireless as not mine because I have never had a Verizon Wireless account.  The collection was deleted.  Within the last 3 months I have made great strides in improving my credit and have gotten all my scores from the mid 500's to the low 700's.  Just yesterday I received a letter in the mail from a company called Plaza Associates with the original creditor as Palisades Collection/Verizon Wireless.  This is the same account I disputed in the past, however it is the first letter I have received.  The letter shows the original account number and it is from an old land line account from about 4 years ago.  So as it turns out it is mine.  I called them and asked a general question (without letting them know who I am).  I asked if I were to promptly pay an account would they agree to not report.  They said they could not do that because they do not report at all but the original creditor may.  I just pulled my credit last week and nothing was there.  What do I do, should I call Verizon or just pay and hope for the best??
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do, Plaza Associates

Let sleeping dogs lie.
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much $ are we talking about here?
Message 3 of 10
headspin
New Contributor

The amount is only $191.19 and the letter I received offered a settlement for $105.15.  I have no problem paying this I am just afraid that if I pay it will show up on my CR and I have have no options to get it removed.

I am also afraid if I just ignore it, it will show up on my credit report.  My hope is I can just pay it and it will all go away without reporting, but that may be just wishful thinking.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might have to roll the dice on this-

Could call VZ and see if they will take the payment

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong- but I have not seen a CA insert a new Collection with a zero balance.

I would try VZ first if they say no- write a nice letter and with the check. I think waiting for other options would backfire-and they might report.

@headspin wrote:
The amount is only $191.19 and the letter I received offered a settlement for $105.15. I have no problem paying this I am just afraid that if I pay it will show up on my CR and I have have no options to get it removed.
I am also afraid if I just ignore it, it will show up on my credit report. My hope is I can just pay it and it will all go away without reporting, but that may be just wishful thinking.

Message 5 of 10
headspin
New Contributor

Just playing devils advocate here, but why do you suggest it may be better to call Verizon and pay through them?  Wouldn't I then just be alerting them that, "Hey, I still owe you money, and by the way it is not currently reporting on my CR so please don't add it."  What if Verizon just sold my account and forgot about it?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

headspin wrote:
About a year ago I disputed a collection on my credit report from Verizon Wireless as not mine because I have never had a Verizon Wireless account.  The collection was deleted.  Within the last 3 months I have made great strides in improving my credit and have gotten all my scores from the mid 500's to the low 700's.  Just yesterday I received a letter in the mail from a company called Plaza Associates with the original creditor as Palisades Collection/Verizon Wireless.  This is the same account I disputed in the past, however it is the first letter I have received.  The letter shows the original account number and it is from an old land line account from about 4 years ago.  So as it turns out it is mine.  I called them and asked a general question (without letting them know who I am).  I asked if I were to promptly pay an account would they agree to not report.  They said they could not do that because they do not report at all but the original creditor may.  I just pulled my credit last week and nothing was there.  What do I do, should I call Verizon or just pay and hope for the best??

# 1 palisades is in the top bracket with all the big boys......dirty,underhanded and just plain scumbags!!!  They are being investigated by the state AG office, and im sure the FTC also.

You say that IF this is yours it would be about 4 years ago. What is your SOL on contracts???

If you called Im sure that they know who you are....they all have caller ID just like we do.

IMO      DO NOT touch it unless past SOL!  You may be closer then you think.

Also look at TU and EX  CR   they should give a drop date........If ot says remain on CR till 2013  then you know that they re-aged it....which is illegal!!! 

Message Edited by HappyDays on 11-15-2007 08:50 PM
Message 7 of 10
headspin
New Contributor

HappyDays, I live in NJ, so I think the SOL is 6 years.  When I called I did it from my work phone, but lets say they did know it was me, what would that mean?  I know everyone says never talk to a CA, but I never understood why.

Thankfully this is not on my CR, it was about a year ago, but I disputed and it was removed.  What I am worried about is if it reappers on my CR.  I've done so much work on my CR recently and currently have no collections.  Do you think if I just pay it through Plaza it will reappear?
Message 8 of 10
headspin
New Contributor

Update - I ended up taking the settlement offer from Plaza, and paid within a few days of receiving the 1st letter from them.  This was back in November.  I paid them because they were not reporting and after doing some research I found that if you pay a collection after receiving the 1st letter, before they report they probably will not report.  Well today I logged into MyFico and there it was reporting as Palisades on Experian.  I first disputed with experian.  I then called Verizon who was no help at all saying they sold the account to Palisades and could no longer do anything about it.  I called Palisades and they said Plaza is handling the account and I have to talk to them.  Plaza is saying that they cannot do anything about the reporting because they are not the ones reporting, Palisades is.  And again Palisades tells me to call Plaza. 

The worst part is that even though I took the settlement they are reporting a balance which is the difference between the original amount and the settlement. 

I am thinking that if I write a letter to Palisades they will more then likely respond that I must contact Plaza.  What can I really do??
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I settled an account I had at T-Mobile with them. It was a debt that was NOT past SOL for $452. I settled for $230 and it hasn't appeared on my CR since. I offered $200 and she countered with $230.

With all of my debts, except for US Dept. of Education, they disappeared as soon as they received payment. When I settled the account over the phone (from places that had already validated the debt and then asked for a faxed or mailed settlement letter), I made mention... innocent inquiry if they could maybe... possibly Smiley Wink have the account show "Paid as agreed" instead of settled. They always said that they don't know how it will report and I let it rest - since I DID owe the money and it would be them doing me a favor. When I'd pull a credit report later, it would be gone entirely. 14 collection accounts -11 removed from dispute and/or refusal to validate and 3 settled and deleted entirely. And the student loan debt, which shows as Paid Collection. It's over 10 years old but it's the only history I have besides two auto loans I received 8 and 9 months ago. Two other student loans NEVER reported and I found them when I called to make sure there were no more... but there were. Smiley Surprised How careless I'd been that I don't remember taking out more than 1 student loan.

Tangent - sorry. Smiley Very Happy Plaza Associates settled very easily but make sure to get it in writing because it's hard to find someone who speaks English clearly. I had to be transferred 6 times and then call again because they had almost everything wrong on the letter. They'll try to get you to pay over the phone, saying that the "settlement will expire if you wait for us to send you a letter and you mail it back." So, I had them fax it to my employer and my wife sent in payment the next day, photocopied with the check and sent CMRRR.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.