Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do if you're reported deceased?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do if you're reported deceased?

AT&T cancelled my service today because they got a report from an outside collection agency that account holder (me) is deceased. I have emailed mobility deceased at ATT for more info as to what agency made the report but what else should I do? I have to go to a retail store tomorrow to show my ID and social security card to prove I am not dead before they will restore my service. I'm in shock. I never thought I would have to prove to anyone I'm not dead.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Re: What to do if you're reported deceased?

I don't mean to laugh at your situation, but lololol. That is absolutely crazy. I am sorry that your service is disconnected, but I'm sure everything will be fine once they see you've made a miraculous recovery. I would find out who reported to them. Follow up with the CA to find out where they got the info from. And so on. It is probably a case of mistaken identity. Good luck in getting this resolved.

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know. Its so crazy that I still can't believe it. I'm worried that this will be happening with more than just ATT. The rep I chatted with that broke the news to me (before doing so, he asked if I was sitting down) said I should find out which agency made the report that I'm deceased and then seek legal counsel to see if I can sue them for this, which is why I emailed them. The rep didn't have that info to give me. The only agency I can think of that would do this is AFNI who had an old ATT account of mine but I settled with them in late July and after paying ATT a deposit, they gave me service again, so I don't know why they would report me as being deceased. I'm just baffled and not sure how I should handle this aside from proving I'm alive and well.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I know. Its so crazy that I still can't believe it. I'm worried that this will be happening with more than just ATT. The rep I chatted with that broke the news to me (before doing so, he asked if I was sitting down) said I should find out which agency made the report that I'm deceased and then seek legal counsel to see if I can sue them for this, which is why I emailed them. The rep didn't have that info to give me. The only agency I can think of that would do this is AFNI who had an old ATT account of mine but I settled with them in late July and after paying ATT a deposit, they gave me service again, so I don't know why they would report me as being deceased. I'm just baffled and not sure how I should handle this aside from proving I'm alive and well.

It's likely that a collections agency reported a deceased debtor who had a similar name and address as yours and it was mistakenly added to your file but it would appear very unprofessional on ATT's part not to verify that report before turning off your service.

Best of luck sorting this out!

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am speechless. Good luck resolving everything!

Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the 2nd thread in 24 hours I have read where a CA reported acperson as deceased. I wonder ifvits the same CA...
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
This is the 2nd thread in 24 hours I have read where a CA reported acperson as deceased. I wonder ifvits the same CA...

a disgruntled CA ex-employee maybe?

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'd say to bring even MORE documents than they are requesting and that should help clear it up. In addition to driver's license and social security card, I'd bring:

Birth certificate

Passport if you have it

Marriage license if applicable to you

Professional license if applicable to you

Copy of current, in-force auto insurance policy and ID card for that policy

Copy of college ID if applicable to you

Photo ID for work or your job if applicable

Credit card or two for good measure  -they don't accept these as ID, but the more things you have, the more their assertion that you are deceased starts to look silly

Any recents documents or letters you may have from a government office like Social Security (sometimes people receive benefit estimate letters, etc).

Print off a copy of your credit report showing recent activity (again, this doesn't prove who you are, but now things really start to look silly!)

Letter from your bank verifying your identity -this could be really important

I know it takes forever for a government agency to do anything, but if you can get a letter from Social Security, that doesn't hurt either. Maybe even call the Social Security office while you are there in the At&T office if they refuse to budge and have them verify over the phone if they will do it.

I'd also check your Innovis and Lexis Nexis (which are often wrong), and find out from AT&T exactly how and from where they got information stating that you were deceased. You don't want the same thing to happen by mistake with another creditor.

Also check the Social Security Death Index 

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also am wondering if the collection agency is doing this to play games with you and get you to contact them.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

also consider getting

Notarized statement in front of notary stating that you are who you say you are (they also check your ID and verify)

Notarized statement from government official (call your local congressman or state representative and get his or her help)

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.