Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to pay first?

tag
renie
New Visitor

What to pay first?

I am cleaning up my credit report and my act :-) - I have paid down all my credit cards, but what about accounts with utilities (I have 2) that show negative - they total about $500 - I also have a report from a cell phone company? I also have one deparment store credit card in collection - $400 - I just wonder if someone can advise what to pay first to get my credit score back in good standing - Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

pay recent things first

I had a similar question about my credit report and what to pay off first.  What I was told is that you should first pay off the most recent stuff first.  I was late 30 days on one of my cards and was told I should pay that off first so it didn't get to 60 days late.  After I got current on all my payments, I then paid off debt that had the highest interest rates.  Unfortunately the collection is a done deal - once something goes into collections, even if you pay it off, it will always show up on your credit report as a negative item, although I think it falls off after about 7 years.  I hope this helps.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to pay first?

I have 3 cards.Is it better to pay off  2 cards and leave one with a higher balance, or pay off 1 card and pay down the other 2 cards to a low balances?
Message 3 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

They check the total % util and the util on each line as well.

So all of them, with most to the highest APR?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

renie wrote:
I am cleaning up my credit report and my act :-) - I have paid down all my credit cards, but what about accounts with utilities (I have 2) that show negative - they total about $500 - I also have a report from a cell phone company? I also have one deparment store credit card in collection - $400 - I just wonder if someone can advise what to pay first to get my credit score back in good standing - Thanks!

Doesn't matter.. but you should get a PFD before sending any money.

PS... your scores should have already improved from paying down your cards. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: pay recent things first

JC15 wrote:
I had a similar question about my credit report and what to pay off first.  What I was told is that you should first pay off the most recent stuff first.  I was late 30 days on one of my cards and was told I should pay that off first so it didn't get to 60 days late.  After I got current on all my payments, I then paid off debt that had the highest interest rates.  Unfortunately the collection is a done deal - once something goes into collections, even if you pay it off, it will always show up on your credit report as a negative item, although I think it falls off after about 7 years.  I hope this helps.

This is why PFD is so powerful. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

vulcangof wrote:
I have 3 cards.Is it better to pay off  2 cards and leave one with a higher balance, or pay off 1 card and pay down the other 2 cards to a low balances?

Pay down whatever card that has the highest util. Ideal util is 1-9%.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.