Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to pay off?

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: What to pay off?

The OP has made it clear that it's the monthly payments that are a problem. The one FICO score we see is fine. And rather than looking to improve it, he was more concerned about damaging it. I don't think damaging it is likely. It's more likely that it will improve. 15K can work wonders that way.

Anyway, I like SJ's plan as it makes a significant dent in monthly payments. The only thing I wonder is if the OP can come up with an extra 1K to pay off those three cards entirely.

Message 11 of 12
George2037
Regular Contributor

Re: What to pay off?

@Anonymouswrote:

@SouthJamaicaIf your primary goal is improve your FICO credit score and your secondary goal is to reduce your monthly payments,

If anyone has this viewpoint above, I'd strongly urge them to consider flip-flopping those goals.  The only exception IMO would be if there was a mortgage application coming up relatively soon.

I have a 60% UTI due to new baby, new house, new everything in 2017.  I now have a goal of, in 12 months, to make massive home improvments to our new house due to new baby.  I got my Taxes, work bonus and other various expense checks and paid off my Car note and some of my UTI increasing my monthly allotment to go toward my UTI.  I did this because I have 12 months to get it right... don't care about score till January of next year.

If I needed a high score in 30 days, I would have paid down the UTI and maintained the car payment.

It's all in goals and time frame to achieve those goals.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.