Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will be considered a thick file?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

What will be considered a thick file?

... and what are the advantages of having a thick file?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: What will be considered a thick file?

I'm kind of interested in seeing some responses to this...what makes a file thick exactly?

Time, number of accounts, mix of credit types (revolving, installment), all of the above mixed? Also, when does a file start to thicken? Just time? Or does it take a lot of accounts? 

I have several accounts, oldest account is two years old (installment loan) so I'm sure I do not have a thick file but I don't think my file is really thin either (compared to those with accounts only 6 months old). Interesting to see what others have to say!

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

One factor that's indicative of a thick file is applying for a major credit card and getting $5000 starting limit or higher.

Message 3 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I think the responses will vary since everyone's profiles will be different.  For instance, my file is fairly thick but that's because it's aged for about ~20 years and the number and mix of accounts within it is fairly high (i.e. mortgages, loans, CCs, PLOCs, etc).

IME, the advantage has been the absorption of inquiries (which will have very little impact to score fluctuations) including the addition of newer accounts which would also prevent my AAoA to be drastically impacted.  Using astronomy as an example (for the sake of absorbing impacts), picture Jupiter versus say... Venus.  Can Jupiter absorb the impact of a huge asteroid (or comet) much better than Venus?  Which would recover faster?

Message 4 of 18
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure there is a cut and dry answer as there isn't really a valid ranking. It's all speculation..

I personally view a thick file as one with a long credit history (10-20  yrs min). Several accounts (30+). With a decent history (5Yrs min AAoA). These will bring the higher limit cards mentioned above. 

The perks of a "thick" file is in the above example (30 accounts) a new trade line will drop AAoA by 2 months not years that a smaller file would be hit with. 

Some use the term as a crutch to app more to "build a thick file" but at what expense? Your AAoA will be worthless for years making your profile less desirable and higher risk.. You will get toy limits and scores will be suppressed because history is a large factor.  So many inq and such.. Let's just call it as it is, app addiction. Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind toy limits and high APRs. 

Over time you will get a thick file app of a few cards a year and let your profile age. Never let it drop below 2 years, that's FICO min. For scoring (lowest scoring tier under 2 years).  Best bet is get it over 5..

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 18
Deltadog03
Established Contributor

I am curious as well.  Thank you for bringing this up.  I have around 20-25 accounts on my report as of now.  AAoA is around 4-6 years.  longest age is 16+ years.  

EQ8: 646 EQ5: 652 V3.0: 665 **8/2015
TU8: 635 TU4: 700 V3.0 :663 **8/2015
EX8: 636 EX3: 670 V3.0: ? **8/2015
CCD Util 35%

Message 6 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TheGardner wrote:

I'm not sure there is a cut and dry answer as there isn't really a valid ranking. It's all speculation..

I personally view a thick file as one with a long credit history (10-20  yrs min). Several accounts (30+). With a decent history (5Yrs min AAoA). These will bring the higher limit cards mentioned above. 

The perks of a "thick" file is in the above example (30 accounts) a new trade line will drop AAoA by 2 months not years that a smaller file would be hit with. 

Some use the term as a crutch to app more to "build a thick file" but at what expense? Your AAoA will be worthless for years making your profile less desirable and higher risk.. You will get toy limits and scores will be suppressed because history is a large factor.  So many inq and such.. Let's just call it as it is, app addiction. Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind toy limits and high APRs. 

Over time you will get a thick file app of a few cards a year and let your profile age. Never let it drop below 2 years, that's FICO min. For scoring (lowest scoring tier under 2 years).  Best bet is get it over 5..

The bolded part of your assumption has not been my experience (maybe for others who have aggressively seeked credit in a shorter span of time).  In fact, I get similar or larger CL results with most newer apps and low APRs as well.  For instance, my most recent approval was BBVA $30K and 9.24% APR.

Message 7 of 18
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

No such thing as a thick file. There ARE thin files. You will never hear "we need to see a thick file to approve you." Therefore, all a matter of opinion. I think once you don't have a thin file you then have a "thick file."

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 8 of 18
chwebb1
Established Contributor

To me, once you get a good limit card ($5000 or greater) at the lowest APR offered on that particular card (generally between 11.99% and 13.99%, depending on the card), your file is "thick enough". This also includes the ability to be approved for any loan you may need at a good APR (i.e. auto or home loan), and the ability to open utility accounts (i.e. Internet/mobile phone) without a deposit (unless the company requires a deposit from everyone, which I have seen from the electric company in my area).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 9 of 18
onstar
Established Contributor

Not that the number of pages necessarily mean anything, and I'm more an outlier than the norm, but ...

My EQ file is 152 pages (saved as PDF from EQ website). About half my file is student loans. I only went to 2 different schools (15-25 years ago), but there are 19 different loan accounts (each quarter/semester was a new loan account). The other half of my file consists of: 2 car loans (1 closed; 1 open), 1 mortgage (closed; house sold), and 35+ revolving accounts (about 1/2 are closed, 1/2 are open), so my file excluding the student loans may still be considered thick by some.

My TU & EX files are only ~50 pages each. The contents are essentially identical, but EQ uses larger fonts and the format (text & tables) takes up way too much space making it 3x as long in terms of pages.

Having student loans sucks. $500/month goes towards paying the loans. The tiny sliver of a silver lining is that the AAoA is awesome. I got 9 new cards in 2015, and my AAoA is still 8+ years (down from 9+ years).

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.