Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do? Really NEED help with old debt/collection agency

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would you do? Really NEED help with old debt/collection agency

Hello!  I got a letter in the mail today from Frontline Asset Strategies stating that this debt was turned over to them for collection. They claim that the was debt was charged off in 2007 and they claim that a judgment was entered against me in 2009.  Well, I have NEVER been served with any lawsuit and I searched my county records and there is no record of a suit. This debt/ judgment has never reported on my credit. It really makes me wonder if this is some sort of scam.  What should I do? Should I send them a letter or should I just ignore it?

4 REPLIES 4
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: What would you do? Really NEED help with old debt/collection agency

Assuming it's past your states SOL, send them a cease and desist letter and tell them to go pound sand!

You'll never hear from them again. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 2 of 5
a1canesfan
Established Member

The first thing you want to do is a little research to find out if they really have an outstanding judgment. Per the FDCPA if you write to them requesting a copy of the judgment they are required to supply you with a copy. If they don't send you one (because they lied) then you can sue them for an FDCPA violation in misrepresenting the legal status of the debt. You'll get an easy couple thousand in a settlement from them for a small investment of a filing fee (or many attorneys will file the suit for you at no up front cost...the FDCPA required the agency to pay your "reasonable attorney fees" if the are in violation).

If they do however send you a copy of a judgment, that changes things as in many states they have 10-20 years to execute on a judgment and can renew the judgment as well. In that case, you may want to explore settling with them...depending on where you live there could be any number of remedies available to them in executing on a judgement....and a cease and desist letter does not require them to cease execyon a judgment, only to cease communication with you with the exception of legal process. Given the age of the alleged judgment I would imagine you could negotiate a settlement for a very small percentage (maybe 20-30%) if you can sell the idea that you're in reduced circumstances which aren't likely to change and better they take that than get nothing at all.
EX 836 - TU 830 - EQ 822
Discover 50,000 / Amex Plat / Amex BCP 27,500 / Amex Hilton Surpass 39,000 / CSR 33,500 / CFU 26,000 / Chase IHG 25,000 / AA Aviator Red 37,500 / Citi AA Exec 42,000 / Citi Rewards 26,800 / WF Active Cash 30,000 / GS Apple Card 17,000 / BOA Cash Rewards 35,000 / SYN Verizon Visa 30,000
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your replies. I have done my research and there is no judgement in either of the two counties I have ever lived in during my adult life. Moreover, I don't recognize the debt at all and it's in my maiden name which I haven't used in 12+ years.

I live in GA and from what I understand the sol is 7 years for a judgement which can be renewed after the 7 year mark but before the 10 year mark. Since there is no record of a judgment with the court, what are the chances they will go away if I send them a letter? Likewise, what if I do nothing?
Message 4 of 5
elim
Senior Contributor

Do a public records search online (county where you lived at the time).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.