cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you do with this credit profile? I need your expertise.

tag
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

What would you do with this credit profile? I need your expertise.

Hello MyFico Community,
I am trying to build a decent credit profile. Is there anything I should be doing or not doing to improve my Credit Profile? Currently I have one foot in the Garden-LOL!

For the last coupe monthsI have been receiving a lot of mailers, Citi, BoA, US Bank, AARP and a few others, so its  sort of tempting. 

My Fico Scores are:
760, 755 & 756. These scores are from my Discover, CapOne and Barclay statements. Goals scores are 800 across the board.  

Reports:
All reports are clean, 100% on-time payments, nothing negative reporting.

Inquiries:
I have 7, 6 and 8 inquiries showing on my reports.

AAof Credit:  Not sure about this Experian/Credit.com- 6.7 years. Credit Sesame says 1.8 months?  

Accounts:The accounts with balances will be paid to $0 by June 26th.

Account Name:            Credit Limit:            Balance: 

Amex Everyday              $10,000                    $286
CapOne Venture            $10,000                    $1112

CapOne QS                    $5000                       $555

CapOne Platinum           $6800                        $0   

Aviator                            $4000                        $0

J.Crew                            $4000                        $0

SportsmanGuide            $2500                        $0
Discover                         $2000                        $0
Target                             $200                          $0
Wells Fargo                    $1700                        $0

I've begun using QS and Amex (0%APR) as main go-to cards.

Was also thinking i’d put everything I can on cards and PIF each month to take advantage of the 0% and rewards.
Is this a good plan? I'm still learning how to best utilize my portfolio. Are there other cards I should look at acquiring? 

I appreciate any input.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: What would you do with this credit profile? I need your expertise.

Which card do you feel you need and why?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would take out a loan . Go ahead do the research . It has a big impact on your score . I took out 5 k paid it back in 6 months . Jumped 35 puts.

Message 3 of 14
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

Was thinking about BoA Cash Rewards offer for 12.99 because of the lower interest rate

Citi Dble Cash and, perhaps

Chase Freedom for sign-up bonus?

Honestly, I was thinking  to have a more diversified portfolio. I don;t have any Chase or City cards.

Also i was thinking of Closing out the Cap Platinum. I paid it off  not that long ago it, has the highest rate of all of my cards. So, its SD right now. But, its one of my older cards. 

Message 4 of 14
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

Actually, I was thinking about a PLO/loan , because I read here somewhere that you need different types of credit e.g. installments.  I paid cash for my car and don't have a mortgage. 

Message 5 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RandomSpirit wrote:

Actually, I was thinking about a PLO/loan , because I read here somewhere that you need different types of credit e.g. installments.  I paid cash for my car and don't have a mortgage. 

Personal loans are installment, personal LOC (line of credit) is usually revolving.

If you don't have any installment history on your report, getting the mix via a cheap tiny secured loan is generally a good idea especially when we're talking mid and long-term. 

Your credit file is solid as is, we're just talking coloring in the scorecard up to the margins with any changes honestly.

        
Message 6 of 14
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

@Revelate@JesailmanThanks for the clarification. I will definitely research this some more.  I think I mean personal loans/installment, yes.

I could put it in a savings account and have it auto pay every month. I think  read this some where on here before... 

PS: I do want to buy a house in a couple years so i want the best posible profile to put forth.  

Thanks again for your advice.

Message 7 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

What I'd do doesn't really matter.  These are not one-size-fits-all matters so each needs to determine his/her own strategy and tactics based on the individual's situation, goals, priorities, preferences, etc.  IMO you don't know what to do because you're not clear on these matters.  You need to define what you needs/want and then prioritize that list.  That will give you a list of critiera that you then use to select cards that suit you.

Rewards is a common criteria and if rewards matter to you then you need to look at your spend and where your money is going to select rewards with the most benefit to you.

@RandomSpirit wrote:

AAof Credit:  Not sure about this Experian/Credit.com- 6.7 years. Credit Sesame says 1.8 months?  

AAoA is just an average like any other average.  Add up the ages of the accounts and divide by the number of accounts.  Many find it easier to convert into months, calculate and then convert back into years.  You can use Excel and its date formulas if you don't want to do this manually.  There are also online AAoA calculators.  Experian is more likely to be correct.  CS is probably providing AAoOA.

@RandomSpirit wrote:

Was also thinking i’d put everything I can on cards and PIF each month to take advantage of the 0% and rewards.

Is this a good plan?

You're really not leveraging a 0% offer if you're PIF'ing each month.  However, if you're not PIF'ing each month on cards without 0% offers then you're killing rewards.

@RandomSpirit wrote:

Are there other cards I should look at acquiring? 

As with all other request you need to tell us what you need/want so we have something to use to narrow down the options for you.

@RandomSpirit wrote:

Was thinking about BoA Cash Rewards offer for 12.99 because of the lower interest rate

Here's an example of why a prioritized list of criteria matters.  If the lowest possible interest is a priority above all else then you shouldn't be looking at rewards cards as they typically come with higher interest rates.  If you want the lowest possible APR you need to fins a barebones card.  They're offered with rates as low as 6.x% depending on what you qualify for.

That said, rewards and a low APR aren't mutually exclusive but typically rewards cards will come with a higher APR as you aren't getting something for nothing.  While I do try to get my APR's as low as possible you might want to consider why APR is a concern if you're paying in full.  Not telling you what to do here but consdier such things when prioritizing your list.  For example: is a lower APR more important than the biggest rewards for your spend?

@RandomSpirit wrote:

Honestly, I was thinking  to have a more diversified portfolio. I don;t have any Chase or City cards.

So far we have:

• Low APR
  • High rewards rate on non-category spend (Double Cash)
  • Diversity

Which is most important?  Which is least?  Where do the rest fall?  We can't tell you this.  You need to tell us.

Again, I'd recommend looking at your spend and ensuring that your card lineup maxmizes rewards on your spend.  The Double Cash is a good option for non category spend but if you haven't found higher rewards for a major spend category that you have then you might want to look into finding something for that category.

Message 8 of 14
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

Options

06-15-2015 05:49 AM - edited 06-15-2015 06:03 AM
What I'd do doesn't really matter.  These are not one-size-fits-all matters so each needs to determine his/her own strategy and tactics based on the individual's situation, goals, priorities, preferences, etc.  IMO you don't know what to do because you're not clear on these matters.  Very True, I am not clear but with the help of the community giving me things to consider I am getting there.

You need to define what you needs/want and then prioritize that list.  That will give you a list of critiera that you then use to select cards that suit you. Thanks. Good way to focus my thinking about it.

Rewards is a common criteria and if rewards matter to you then you need to look at your spend and where your money is going to select rewards with the most benefit to you. Since i’m going to be using a main CC, I’d rather have cash rewards first or rewards that are versatile for gift cards. I already have a travel card that works well for me so thats not that important.

RandomSpirit wrote:
AAof Credit:  Not sure about this Experian/Credit.com- 6.7 years. Credit Sesame says 1.8 months?  Thanks. Was wondering where they figured this.

AAoA is just an average like any other average.  Add up the ages of the accounts and divide by the number of accounts.  Many find it easier to convert into months, calculate and then convert back into years.  You can use Excel and its date formulas if you don't want to do this manually.  There are also online AAoA calculators.  Experian is more likely to be correct.  CS is probably providing AAoOA.

RandomSpirit wrote:
Was also thinking i’d put everything I can on cards and PIF each month to take advantage of the 0% and rewards. Is this a good plan?

You're really not leveraging a 0% offer if you're PIF'ing each month.  However, if you're not PIF'ing each month on cards without 0% offers then you're killing rewards.

Okay this is confusing, would you mind clarifying? The Amex and QS have 0% interest for well into next year (not sure of exact date, I will look up again) so it would seem that it would not matter if i carry balance or pay in full until the real APR begins next year.
So whats the best way to utilize these as my main cards to get as much cash back(QS) and MR point as possible. Carry balance or pif, or does it not matter in this case for now?

RandomSpirit wrote:
Are there other cards I should look at acquiring? 

As with all other request you need to tell us what you need/want so we have something to use to narrow down the options for you.
Now, I am leaning towards low interest being the most important to me, secondly would be cash back.

RandomSpirit wrote:

Here's an example of why a prioritized list of criteria matters.  If the lowest possible interest is a priority above all else then you shouldn't be looking at rewards cards as they typically come with higher interest rates.  If you want the lowest possible APR you need to fins a barebones card.  They're offered with rates as low as 6.x% depending on what you qualify for. This is most important to me

That said, rewards and a low APR aren't mutually exclusive but typically rewards cards will come with a higher APR as you aren't getting something for nothing.  While I do try to get my APR's as low as possible you might want to consider why APR is a concern if you're paying in full. In case I ever have to carry a real balance.

Not telling you what to do here but consdier such things when prioritizing your list.  For example: is a lower APR more important than the biggest rewards for your spend?

RandomSpirit wrote:

So far we have:
• 1 Low APR
• 2-High rewards rate on non-category spend (Double Cash)
• 4-Sign up bonus
• 3-Diversity
Which is most important?  Which is least?  Where do the rest fall?  We can't tell you this.  You need to tell us.

Again, I'd recommend looking at your spend and ensuring that your card lineup maxmizes rewards on your spend.  The Double Cash is a good option for non category spend but if you haven't found higher rewards for a major spend category that you have then you might want to look into finding something for that category.

Thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions Tekeshi74. If gives me a lot consider.

Message 9 of 14
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

I think I have figured it out. A bare bones, low-ish interest rate card would be my first priority. Thinking long range, I think this woud be good If I ever had to make a big purchase in the future or carry a larger balance than i'm used to for a few months. I Also, am planning on buying a house in 2 years and  it may come in handy for unforseen  purchases. Getting it now would allow it to age with my newer cards and by the time im ready for purchasing the house my current inquiries will drop off and hopfully my scores will be stellar.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.