cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats Better?

tag
shep85037

Whats Better?

Hi guys I am in the process of rebuilding my credit and I was going to do a secured loan through my credit union. 

To my understanding I give them $1000.00 and they give me a loan for 1000.00 and I pay it offin a year.

Another option is to get an installment loan where I buy furniture or something to that degree and pay that off in a year.

So my question is what type of loan looks better on your credit report as far as getting a higher fico score the installment loan or the secured loan.

Hope this makes sense, I am up for any advice on this thank you very much.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats Better?

If both of these loans report, and they report as installment, then I don't see any difference.

However, I would double-check both of these items -- (1) if they report, and (2) how they report.

I expect the secured loan would have a much lower APR, but this is worth checking also.

Message 2 of 4
shep85037

Thanks for the response.

Message 3 of 4
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Additionally, I'd be concerned with the furniture loan depending on where it comes from. I forgot what the loan gets termed as on a credit report, but I've read reports of it showing up as basically a type of loan you can only get because you don't qualify for better. I hope someone here can find the word for me that I'm looking for.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.