Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats a good Identity protection plan?

tag
quarius
Regular Contributor

Whats a good Identity protection plan?

I'm looking for a good plan to know if anyone tries anything on my credit or identity to protect me that is a decent price?

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Whats a good Identity protection plan?

@quarius wrote:

I'm looking for a good plan to know if anyone tries anything on my credit or identity to protect me that is a decent price?

The most simple and cost effective plan for identity protection is to freeze ALL reports ($30 - $10 x 3), but if you're in the process of (re)building, that WILL slow you down as no cc issuer will instantly approve your app.  If not, then a security freeze in additon to your free annual credit reports should do the trick...HTH

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 5
quarius
Regular Contributor

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@quarius wrote:

The most simple and cost effective plan for identity protection is to freeze ALL reports ($30 - $10 x 3), but if you're in the process of (re)building, that WILL slow you down as no cc issuer will instantly approve your app.  If not, then a security freeze in additon to your free annual credit reports should do the trick...HTH

Im not so sure i want a freeze on my stuff, I just want protection. What if i get prequal offers and stuff like that. I'm far from building but im always open to better deals

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 3 of 5
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@quarius wrote:

@LearningMoreAboutCredit wrote:

@quarius wrote:

Im not so sure i want a freeze on my stuff, I just want protection. What if i get prequal offers and stuff like that. I'm far from building but im always open to better deals

Then my suggestion will not work for you.  If you're willing to pay someone monthly to do what you can do with a one-time fee, that's your prerogative.  IMHO, identity protection plans are a rip-off because they will do the same thing I suggested.

If you plan your apps accordingly, freezes will have no bearing...you will have to temporarily thaw out a specific report.  Additionally, freezes prevent pulls across all three bureaus or a variant of the three.  For example, Chase will occasionally pull EQ and EX for an app.  If EX is frozen, then they will only pull EQ or vice versa.

Freezes have no bearing on prequal offers...that has more to do with being opted in or out.  I've recently been bombarded with offers via mail because I recently opted in after years of being opted out and my reports are frozen solid.

I must go on to add that freezes do absolutely nothing for current accounts, it just prevents new accounts from being opened; fraudulently or by you.  Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 4 of 5
Luscher
Valued Contributor

you could look into lifelock
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.