Did you mean: 

Whats considered a thick file?

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Whats considered a thick file?

@djc1puno wrote:
Fellas,

Since im still new to all this, what is considered as having a thick file? Obviously people who has thick files are better in absorbing certain negative criterias, ie inqs. Thanks in advance!

I think a "thick file" could also include a good mix of TL, to include multiple types of loans in addition to credit cards.  Yes, one can have a thick file without credit cards, AND one can have a thick file with no mortgage or loans.  But I think to truly have a really thick file, one has to have a good mix of credit and a bit of age to the report.

Though I have some fairly recent credit card additions, I also have credit card accounts that are 22 years old.  I also have some old, closed auto loans (total of 11 TL) showing on my file, and several of them are well over 10 years old.  I've had multiple mortages and HELOCs as well as personal loans.  Depending on the CB, I have between 38 and 44 TL.  That would probably constitute a thick file! Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 26
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

GatorGuy wrote: However, if you only have 2 accounts and an AAoA of 6 years, it would be devasted even by adding one account.

While going from 6 to 4 isn't great, I'd hardly call it devastating. However, the point still stands that having more aged accounts means that they can better absorb the impact on AAoa from a new account.

Message 22 of 26
pt310
Frequent Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:
Now are you guys just talking about cc aaoa's? Ive had students appear back in 97 and a few cards after that in early 2000 but have since been closed as paid...still appearing un my crs. Now my oldest open cc is a little over 3 years...but my aaoa on ck is 10 months but other free sites such as credit.com it takes my history as a whole when showing aaoa. Just a bit confused...heh

CK is flawed in this area. It only takes into account open TL's. Anything you have that is paid & closed is not calculated into their AAoA. You just have to take that info with a grain of salt. 

Message 23 of 26
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
IMO, 6+ years

However, if you only have 2 accounts and an AAoA of 6 years, it would be devasted even by adding one account.

yep..that is how I got from AAoA of 18yrs to now 4 yrs in  just 5 months Smiley Tongue

Message 24 of 26
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Thanks pt310!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 25 of 26
pt310
Frequent Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:
Thanks pt310!

Glad I could help!

I've been getting so much info from these forums. It feels good to actually have some information that helps someone else!

Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.