cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When asking for a credit line increase ...

tag
WilliamBruce

When asking for a credit line increase ...

What percentage increease is reasonable to ask for: 25%, 50%, 100%?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: When asking for a credit line increase ...

@WilliamBruce wrote:

What percentage increease is reasonable to ask for: 25%, 50%, 100%?

all depends...history,income,etc...AMEX has a history of allowing up to 3x the CL on the 61st day up to 25k

Message 2 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

whos the lender your dealing with? that will help answer your question

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 9
WilliamBruce

It's Household Bank, current CL is $2K, since 2003.  Very good payment record.  Current score 664.

Message 4 of 9
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

You can shoot for the moon as you will. Ask for whatever you desire. They will counter with what they are willing to give. Did you mean to say there has been no CLI either auto or requested by you since 2003 or that the account was simply opened in 2003. Either way they should be open to something after 9 + years of good history.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 9
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

I can't tell you where I read this advice -- perhaps from a letter from Amex after I applied for a CLI.  But I believe you should not ask for anything more than a 50% increase every 6 months.  YMMW.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is the primary purpose of the CLI?  To give you extra monthly spending flexibility, or primarily to improve FICO score?

If you need the extra limit to accomodate your spending, that is one thing.

If only to improve FICO score, balance on the accounts can be controlled to give the same overall % util effect as a CLI.

An intangible effect of a CLI is that it can entice additional debt.  The human nature effect.

Low CLI cards kinda make you check your debt.  Getting a substantial CLI can trigger more debt.

Message 7 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

What is the primary purpose of the CLI?  To give you extra monthly spending flexibility, or primarily to improve FICO score?

If only to improve FICO score, balance on the accounts can be controlled to give the same overall % util effect as a CLI.

An intangible effect of a CLI is that it can entice additional debt.  The human nature effect.

Low CLI cards kinda make you check your debt.  Getting a substantial CLI can trigger more debt.

I can personally attest that all this has been true in my life.

Message 8 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

I can personally attest that all this has been true in my life.

Me too.  There was a time that I only cared about available credit so I new how much I could charge.  Things have changed now.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.