cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When exactly to open a cc account if I want to reestablish credit?

tag
homewardbound
Contributor

When exactly to open a cc account if I want to reestablish credit?

I filed Ch 7 and should be receiving discharge papers in the mail within 4-6 weeks.  I want to try to re-establish my credit history as quickly as possible, therefore need to open a secured credit card and make payments on time, etc.  Should I wait until I receive the official discharge papers in the mail before I do so, or does it not matter?

I used the FICO score simulator to see what would happen if I opened a new card and if showed a dip in my score, but I'm assuming as soon as I show on time payments for a few months with the card, my score will climb back up?

Does anyone have any additional specific advice on how else to reetablish credit quickly after Ch 7?

I need all the advice I can get!  and thank so much!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Boswd
Valued Contributor

Re: When exactly to open a cc account if I want to reestablish credit?

yes you would probably see a dip because of a new inquiry plus you just assumed a little debt.   I would wait until everything is official,  all paperwork is back and such.   Then check all three of your CR and make sure everything is all lined up there as well.   If not, you still may not get even a secured CC, they are no slam dunk with Prime lenders such as BoA and such.  So I would wait until everything is official  but there are some on here that went through BK and would be able to advise you from first hand experience.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When exactly to open a cc account if I want to reestablish credit?

I would wait until you credit report reflects that your bankruptcy is actually "discharged".
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.