Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When it goes to collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When it goes to collection

Quick question - when an account is charged off by the original creditor and sent to collection, should the balance and amount past due remain on the original entry as well as on the new collection entry or should there be a change to the original account when it goes to collection?  It seems I am getting double dinged on my totals.  Is this correct?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When it goes to collection

I once had same account appear twice on my reports. One from original creditor, 2nd from collection agency. I got one of them removed via a dispute.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will most likely see a change in the amounts because of fees and interest etc.
Message 3 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

And yes both the the original creditor and the CA can show up on your credit report for the same debt.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Boswd,

What happens when you pay the current collections, say like a PFD and they remove it, how do you then get rid of the original creditors post?

Message Edited by trinigal on 07-11-2007 07:11 AM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think that the OC has to report as a paid charge off.  I think that they can still report CO, but it should read zero balance, etc.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

dazednconfused wrote:
I would think that the OC has to report as a paid charge off.  I think that they can still report CO, but it should read zero balance, etc.

mmmm, you should be able to get it removed, i guess GW then.
Message 7 of 9
Boswd
Valued Contributor

I would think a GW could work with the original creditor.   Another way would be to wait a bit and dispute in hopes that the OC doesn't want to take the time to verify a paid debt.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.