cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should a negative account fall off?

tag
Supermommy
Valued Member

When should a negative account fall off?

Hello ALL,

My question is when should an account in negative with Equifax fall off? 7yrs?  I do not see a DOLA on my account it's N/A instead. Plus the first date reported is 11/2012 is it re-aging? This is a CO account. Please help me I'm lost. Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: When should a negative account fall off?

First, the FCRA periods apply to individual adverse items of information reported under an OC account, not the account itself.

A charge-off has one, very explicit, date certain for credit report exclusion.  It is the DOFD on the OC account, plus 7 years plus 180 days.

No other dates have any effect on credit report exclusion of a charge-off.

When a creditor reports a charge-off, they are required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to report the DOFD on the account to the CRA within 90 days.

That date is retained under its own reporting code, and is the only date used by the CRA to determine its exclusion date.

Reporting of later dates of activity, regardless of the activity, does not reage the DOFD, and thus has no effect on CR exclusion.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.