cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to start establishing credit for teens?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to start establishing credit for teens?

Any advice as to when to start establishing credit for our responsible 16 yr old?  He will start college before his 17th birthday. 

I was thinking of adding him as a user to some of our credit cards.  We use them only to get the rewards & pay them in full each month.  Will this show as credit on his report?  Should I open his own accounts?  He is extremely responsible & the credit would be monitored. 

I considered financing his auto with me only as a co-signer. 

Any thoughts???
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to start establishing credit for teens?

IslandBound wrote:
Any advice as to when to start establishing credit for our responsible 16 yr old?  He will start college before his 17th birthday. 

I was thinking of adding him as a user to some of our credit cards.  We use them only to get the rewards & pay them in full each month.  Will this show as credit on his report?  Should I open his own accounts?  He is extremely responsible & the credit would be monitored. 

I considered financing his auto with me only as a co-signer. 

Any thoughts???

Check out NASA FCU they have  teen card hat I hav my eye on for when my kid is 16.  Gives you control and the kid freedom wihout those rebuilder and builder rates.

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit union has a credit building account for teens as long as parent co-signs. you might check out local CU's and see if any of them do that.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRA's by law cannot keep a credit file on a minor.

Wells Fargo has teen checking and savings accounts for kids 13-17.  When they turn 18, WF graduates them to a College account (even if they're not in college) and gives them a MC.  All for FREE!
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

perhaps the file couldn't be started yet, but once the child turns 18 i would hope that the history on the account would show (date opened, no lates, etc). so, getting an account at 17 might give the child an instant 1 year credit history at 18. that would be kind of nice assuming they manage it properly.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes the entire hsitoy on the card would report from opening date.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

History sure does carryover.  My 18 year old has AU accounts on her CR for TL's opened in 1991.
Message 7 of 15
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

do you need to be a member for NASA FCU to get a teen credit card???

also any other places that will let you get a credit card for teens 16-17 yrs of age??? please list them trying to get my brother in law one....

when i was 17 cap one gave me a card of course my mom co-signed for me do they still do it???
Message 8 of 15
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
CRA's by law cannot keep a credit file on a minor.
Wells Fargo has teen checking and savings accounts for kids 13-17. When they turn 18, WF graduates them to a College account (even if they're not in college) and gives them a MC. All for FREE!

so does this mean that they will not receive a credit score until they are 18???

will they also maintain and keep the credit history so they start off with a good credit score???
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They don't get the MC until they turn 18.  When they turn 18, the teen gets their own College account w/MC.  This is when their legal credit history begins and they will then have a FICO score.  Although the WF website says "Eligibility for this account is subject to approval and students must provide proof of enrollment at a qualifying accredited institution when the account is opened", when my daughter opened her account last month, they never asked for proof of enrollment.

WF Teen CheckingSM account:

• It's available to teens ages 13 to 17 with an adult co-owner.
  • Teens enjoy the freedom to make purchases anywhere Visa® debit cards are accepted with their own Check Card. Parents have the ability to set daily limits on Check Card purchases and withdrawals from ATMs.
  • There is no monthly service fee with free Online Statements.

Go the Wells Fargo web-site for more information on the College account.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.