cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I put my savings to atleast match inflation?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Where can I put my savings to atleast match inflation?

What is high risk investing?

an emergency fund is reserved for emergency situations. Once the cash equivalents you have set aside have ballooned up beyond the amount needed for an emergency fund, the excess becomes stagnant money that loses value to inflation. Not investing the excess is the riskiest action you can take since it guarantees a loss.
Message 11 of 18
Jesse3581
Established Member

What is high risk investing?

an emergency fund is reserved for emergency situations. Once the cash equivalents you have set aside have ballooned up beyond the amount needed for an emergency fund, the excess becomes stagnant money that loses value to inflation. Not investing the excess is the riskiest action you can take since it guarantees a loss.

THIS.

You can't keep up with inflation with the interest you'll earn from a bank.  You absolutely NEED to be investing.  That can include mutal funds (very safe, long term option) or real estate.  The best advice you will hear on these forums is this -- YOU need to educate yourself.  Buy a couple books.  Meet with an accountant.  LEARN.  Then you can see how CD's and saving accounts will not come close to helping you.  You need compound interest to work in your favor.

I wish you the best of luck.

$1750$5200$2000$7500$2000$2000
Message 12 of 18
user5387
Valued Contributor

This is probably not the place to get into an extended discussion of investing.

The only additional thing I'd say is that when comparing a 1% savings account against some other investment that seems to pay a lot more, you need to look at the "risk adjusted return", rather than the absolute return.

There's a lot of information available on this subject via a Google search.

Message 13 of 18
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I-bonds are probably your best bet.    They pay the rate of inflation plus 0.1%.   The plus amount is fixed at the time you buy the i-bond.   Here is a link describing how interest is calculated:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_itaxconsider.htm

The interest is tax free for state taxes.  It is taxable for federal, but you can defer federal taxes until you withdraw the money.

The cons are:

1) Max purchase 10k per year (plus 5k if you use your tax refund)

2) Can't withdraw the money for the first year.   If you withdraw in the first 5 years, you loose 3 months interest.   After the first year it just takes a couple of days to redeem the bond and have it deposited back into your back acount. 

3) Max term of 30 years.    Max of 30 years may sound like a long time, but if you are in your 20's and don't cash out for 30 years, you may be forced to cash out during your peak earning years.    Not a concern if you are in your 40's and will be retired in 30 years.

I-Bonds may be great for saving for a house down payment or emergency fund.  But there is also a place for investing in the stock market once you have fully funded your emergency fund.   Over the long term the stock market will beat i-bonds..

Message 14 of 18
firesoul453
Contributor

Hey thanks for the thoughts everyone.  I'm going to look into these I bonds. 

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 15 of 18
firesoul453
Contributor

Hello,

I cannot decide between a 5 year cd and an I bond.

Cd would have a higher penalty if I ever needed to withdraw.
But currently has a higher rate than an I bond which you get to keep for the 5 years.
But it looks like rates are on the way up.
I bonds rates changes and is currently lower but if interest rates rase up of inflation goes up then I bonds would have better rates.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I know no one knows for sure but someone probably has more experience with this than me.
My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 16 of 18
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

To be honest, you should sit down with an advisor to discuss. There is no way to make an educated recommendation on here that isn't completely a shot in the dark without sitting down and doing a full financial review and finding out more about your current investments, your employment, family, and plans for the next 5-10 years. 

EDIT: I can't emphasize enough that none of us are qualified to make recommendations on here without more information. 

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 17 of 18
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I don't have any magic answers for you.  But a few thoughts.

I-Bonds do not go up with interest rates.   They are pegged to inflation.  Interest rates may or may not go up next year.   Inflation may or may not go up next year.  Typically, the Fed boosts short term interest rates to combat high inflation.  Also, note short term interest rates do not necessarily correlate with long term interest rates.

US Saving bonds (I & EE) have some tax advantages over bank CDs.   If you pay state income tax, US saving bonds are not taxed by your state.  Plus you get tax deferment with the US Saving bonds for federal taxes.   Be sure to reduce the interest rate of any bank CDs when you compare the two.  

Rather than buying one 5 year CD, you can create a CD ladder with 5 year CDs.   It helps protect you when interest rates go up.  Google for how to create a CD ladder for details.   If you do create a CD ladder, be aware that the best rates may be available at a different bank/CU each year.   You might end up with CDs at 5 different CUs.  That can be a hassle.   Plus there is always the hassle if the bank you have a CD with goes under.   The Fed can't go bankrupt.

I don't want to preach on the point, but once your emergency fund is sufficient, you should probably start thinking about investing in stocks/bond mutual funds.  I would recommend the Bogglehead's 3 fund portfolio when you are ready to start.  Again google for details.  Boggleheads may also be a good resource for deciding between i-bonds and CDs. 

For full disclosure, I do not currently own any i-bonds or CDs.  I am currently using muni-bonds for the portion of my emergency fund above what I what to keep in cash equiv's.  Over the long term I expect they will keep pace with / slightly out perform inflation, but there will be some volatility.   I live in a state without a state income tax.   Therefore, muni-bonds are tax free for me.  However, I will likely start buying I-Bonds this year with the goal of using them for an income floor in 30 years when I retire.  I may also buy some small CDs from one of my FCU's to help build a relationship with them. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.