Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here?

tag
DecAnt21

Where do I go from here?

Hello everyone!

I have been laying low for a while and working on keeping my utilization down and building my credit. The situation is I am a 20 year old student with an annual income around 15,000 a year and I feel that I may have too much borrowing power (if that is a thing?). I went on an application spree last November and went from 2 credit cards with a total limit of 1,200 dollars to 6 credit cards with a total limit of 16,000 dollars. My credit is good, I am hovering in the low 700's. Just recently I managed to negotiate some higher credit limits and this is what got me to the 16,000. Within the past week this is what I accomplished, some were self initiated, some automatic.

Capital One Quicksilver: STARTING CL 500, NEW CL 1,500

Barclay: STARTING CL 1,500, NEW CL 2,500

Discover It: STARTING CL 1,250, NEW CL 2,000

American Express Blue Cash Everyday: STARTING CL 1,500, NEW CL 4,000

Chase Freedom: STARTING CL 500, CURRENT 1,000

USAA Cash Rewards: STARTING CL 5,000, CURRENT 5,000

This leads me to a question, I am thinking of closing one, maybe even two cards, when I got these cards the limits were low enough that I needed them for utilization purposes. Now that my limits have been beefed up I feel that I could take a hit and close a lower limit card. How do I go about in closing the right card, I rarely carry balances and I mainly use them for rewards, for instance on my Discover Card I have been accumulating cash back bonus and will hit 100 with my next statement. The card(s) I am debating closing are my Chase Freedom and maybe even my Capital One. I don't want to close the Capital One because unlimited 1.5% cash back is actually very good, plus it is actually a good card, and Capital One has always been great to me. Sometimes I think I would earn points faster if I had one or two good reward cards. I also worry that a lender might see me as over extended, why would they lend me any money in the future if I could get myself into serious trouble in an hour. My ultimate goal is to buy a car in the next 18 months. If you had the same situation as me which card or cards would you close and why? There are 3 cards which I WILL keep. Those are the American Express Blue Cash, Discover It, and USAA Cash Rewards. Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated...

STARTING SCORE: 569 EQ FICO
CURRENT SCORES: 733 EQ FICO, 749 EXP FICO, 754 TU FICO, 750 BARCLAY, 724 CK, 724 CAP 1, 750 DISCOVER
GOAL SCORE: 760 ACROSS ALL 3
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where do I go from here?

In general, I don't like to close CC's unless at least one of the following two is true.

1. The card has an AF (annual fee)

2. You simply have too many cards to manage and you don't want to get yourself into a mess. e.g. late payments.

Here something you might find helpful.

Closing Credit Cards

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.