cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do i need to post questions about building credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do i need to post questions about building credit?

Hello,

I would like to know where i can post questions and obtain help on building credit. I have really never had credit except one credit card about 3 years ago that went to collections for $100. It's scheduled to come off in 2014.

I recently obtained a secured credit card from Wells Fargo and have no idea how to go about.  Just like many people, i have goals in buying a home and need all the help i can get. I would like this dream to come true in about a year.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where do i need to post questions about building credit?

Welcome!

If home ownership is a goal, then at the least start by pulling all 3 reports. You can do so for free via annualcreditreport.com. You'd want to know what is reporting on each credit report and make a game plan based off the info within the reports. Knowing your FICO score is important too. Pull both FICO scores from here (Equifax and TransUnion). Unfortunately you can't buy your Experian FICO from anywhere, though your lender can still get it for you and there are some CUs out there that will offer it as a benefit or service.

On using the CC, get in the practice of paying it off each month. If you can give yourself 6-12 months before applying for a mortgage, then you might benefit from adding a second CC from somewhere, secured or unsecured. For max points, leave all CCs at $0 but one and get the one to report a balance of less than 9% of the CL.

Be prepared to pay off the bad CC. If I had that, I'd pay it off right now via calling them and paying the balance. Once your payment clears, then start sending GW letters (search for examples). You'd want to ask them to remove any lates or bad references (like charge-off comments). It's a long shot, but definitely worth doing now leading up to the mortgage.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

llecs,

I will now go ahead and payoff that credit card. I did pull my reports and that credit card is all i have reflecting a negative report.

I don't think i will approved for an yother credit cards. I have nothing on there. The only credit card i was approved for i just received today and have not even used it.

As i was reading your suggestion i want to ask how i should use this cc to build my credit. How much of it hsould i use, how often should i use it, do i paid it off monthly? Can and should i use it right away, like tomorrow?  I have a $300cl.

Thanking you in advanced for all your help.

Kind regards.

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

As i was reading your suggestion i want to ask how i should use this cc to build my credit. How much of it hsould i use, how often should i use it, do i paid it off monthly? Can and should i use it right away, like tomorrow?  I have a $300cl.

FICO cares that you aren't late and that your balances are low. I prefer to keep my cards locked up. I'll use each one at least every 3-4 months and pay them off after each use. When I do need to let a balance report, I'll let a balance report less than 9% of the CL.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do I need to post questions about building credit?

It's me once again.

You mentioned "when I need to let a balance report" what exactly do you mean by that and how do you now when and why you need it to report.?

Sorry for being so ignorant. I truly know nothing on the subject. I did some reading on various site that state that you must use your credit card at least monthly but not more than 30% of your credit limit and pay it of within 25 days. What do you think about that?

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's a little known fact outside of scoring junkies that all $0 balances reporting on your CRs can actually hurt your FICO score(s). The damage is temporary and once a small balance reports somewhere, then any ding goes away. So, if you are applying for a big ticket item like a mortgage or car, plan ahead and let a small balance report on one CC. If you are trying to edge out every last point, then this is something to consider. There are a few posters in here that expiremented with letting all $0 balances report and the ding can be 10+ points in most cases. Prior to applying for something, it's OK to pay off each account each month because that ding isn't permanent.

You don't have to use cards months. FICO has zero clue what your balances were 2 months ago. It only cares about the current month. So, you can get away with not using the card for months on end. Regardless of use, your CC will still update your CR and it'll still be fully scored. I do recommend using it at least every 3-4 months. Some CCs will close an account for non-use. Just buy a pack of gum or coffee if you didn't want to use it much.

The 30% utilization was put out by some, but IMO, is an incorrect thing to say. It's true that over 30% you'll get dinged. But going from an overall util from 1% to 30% can easily cost you 30-40 points depending on your credit profile. The 30% amount was arbitrarily picked and is considered too high.

Most CCs have a 25-30 day grace period. Yes, pay within 25. There's a former mod on here who suggested paying th eminimum immediately upon receiving the statement and then pay a second payment immediately prior to the statement date to get the balance down to where you'd like it to be. That'll guarantee you'd never be late.

Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Lenders (and FICO scores) like to see different types of credit too.  Mortgages, installments, car loans, a few revolving accounts, etc.  A good variety of these helps your scores.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.