cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you get your reports/scores from?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Where do you get your reports/scores from?

Ditto to -Cain- on the reference of where to purchase directly. It's $10-$12 or less, depending on where you live. If you are doing anything with regards to repair, all 3 reports are an absolute necessity (IMO). They show more info than what you can get elsewhere including better demographic info for yourself, complete addresss info for your creditors, and more detail like a 7-yr history (vs. 2 years elsewhere), better dates, drop off dates on EX and TU, and DOFD on EQ. Of course get the first set for free on annualcreditreport.

Report pulling frequency is totally based on your needs. If you are coasting into the credit sunset and nothing is happening, and you aren't applying for anything major like a home, then I personally don't see why you'd need to pull daily, weekly, or monthly. Maybe quarterly to make sure nobody stole your identity. On the flip side, some of us are/were engaged in repair and pulling every day is almost necessary. I just bought a home earlier this year and now only look at my CRs every 2-3x/mo [ETA...and not to imply that I was spending $30-$36 per day on reports....there are services out there that allow you to pull your CRs daily if you wanted at a low fixed monthly rate].

Because the number of places you can get your FICO is very rare, treat FICO scores differently from reports. Post mortgage, I only look at them once per month. In about a year or so, I might check quarterly or even annually, or I'll increase the frequency if there's a major upcoming purchase.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where do you get your reports/scores from?

@llecs wrote:

Ditto to -Cain- on the reference of where to purchase directly. It's $10-$12 or less, depending on where you live. If you are doing anything with regards to repair, all 3 reports are an absolute necessity (IMO). They show more info than what you can get elsewhere including better demographic info for yourself, complete addresss info for your creditors, and more detail like a 7-yr history (vs. 2 years elsewhere), better dates, drop off dates on EX and TU, and DOFD on EQ. Of course get the first set for free on annualcreditreport.

Report pulling frequency is totally based on your needs. If you are coasting into the credit sunset and nothing is happening, and you aren't applying for anything major like a home, then I personally don't see why you'd need to pull daily, weekly, or monthly. Maybe quarterly to make sure nobody stole your identity. On the flip side, some of us are/were engaged in repair and pulling every day is almost necessary. I just bought a home earlier this year and now only look at my CRs every 2-3x/mo [ETA...and not to imply that I was spending $30-$36 per day on reports....there are services out there that allow you to pull your CRs daily if you wanted at a low fixed monthly rate].

Because the number of places you can get your FICO is very rare, treat FICO scores differently from reports. Post mortgage, I only look at them once per month. In about a year or so, I might check quarterly or even annually, or I'll increase the frequency if there's a major upcoming purchase.

Ok thanks a lot, that's really helpful info.  The only thing I've got right now are 4 credit cards and student loans that are still in deferment so I guess I don't really need to pull my score or reports at all.  I don't plan on applying for any new cards for at least 12 months so i can get my AAoA up.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.