Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is best place to start?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is best place to start?

I am trying to clean up my credit mess. My scores are equifax-546, transunion-562, experian-565. My problems: Balances too high on credit cards (80%), and deliquent accounts ($1305- various medical debts). Other than deliquent medical stuff, My payment history has been great for a couple years on all credit card and bank loan accounts with one exception. A finance company with a balance of 750- reported me 30 days late a few months ago. This was an accidental oversight ( because I have so many CC bills, it's getting hard to keep up with them all). Here are the questions: Should I start paying my extra cash toward the deliquent accounts first? OR Should I start paying credit card balances? The credit card balances are huge and it will take forever to get rid of but I am determined and fortunately I can pay some extra. Also, I am still working on a Master's degree and have ongoing student loan debt which has driven up my debt ratio. These are all being defferred while I am in school. Is there anything I can do about this? One of my hopes is to raise my Fico enough to get a lower interest loan of any amount to help pay off high interest credit card debt. My current balance is in the neighborhood of 30 k-- Yes unthinkable and horrible. Please someone help!! Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Where is best place to start?

Hi there!

I definitely don't have all the answers, just wanted to give you some 3am support!  I think you need to figure out your gameplan and budget to focus on the current debt, and also focus more (but not entirely) on debt vs. credit repair as that will follow naturally.  I would call that finance company though and see if they will remove that late.  If they say no, write a GW letter.  If they still say no, think about a PFD to settle for less once that bill is paid down a little more.

Some things that worked for me:

Keep any open account current at the minimum.

I have a notebook that I prepare in advance monthly logs of what is due to whom and when, in order of due date.  It's always out and near my computer as I find paying online easiest.  I pay at least the minimum on CC with a balance as soon as the bill generates to avoid lates, and then at the cycle end date I pay the entire balance to keep my utilization optimal for the new charges that will come thru the next day when it also reports.

I called every one of my CC companies and nicely threatened to go elsewhere because their interest rates were not as good as other offers I was getting.  They lowered them to keep my business  It does not always work, but it's worth it to try.

Find ways to cut corners... cook at home more, try generics to see what ones are acceptable, make sure you have the best plan for cell, cable, internet and phone etc. 

As far as the delinquent accounts, if you could list them and when any are scheduled to drop off that will be very helpful in figuring how to work that half into the whole picture.  Remember not to settle anything negative without a PFD response from them that is acceptable.

And on a final note tonight, don't overwhelm yourself, take it slow and steady.  Smiley Wink
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry about your stud. loans so far as they are deferred- I am in grad school too- but the moment they come out of deferrment never be late on them or even thinking about not paying.

They will factor into your DTI but if you go to get a loan they will look at it as deferred.

Right now  you need to lower your utils- one way to go about it to get some leverage and to feel good is pay off your smallest bill first, then the next- including the payment on what you were paying the smallest bill for- get it?

Others say pay your highest int. rate 1st- but I personally believe in the snowball method cuz it makes you feel like you are getting somewhere fast.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do not let anything go to collections that you can prevent- call up the original creditors and ask for apr reducation and a payment plan, you may have to bust bootie and pick up a second job- you need to make a list...

please post all your debts, scores, balances and the credit lines,etc. so the others can look at them and tell you what would be your  best course of action...again don't worry about stud loans right now- and yes, you still need to make good grade otherwise grad school won't do you any  good- trust me, I know the pressure of working and going to grad school.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.