Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Begin

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to Begin

I am new to the forums and have been learning so much but so confused with the abbreviations and what to start with.

I recently pulled my credit reports and have some items that have been paid off for over 2 years but are now appearing with Midland Credit Management (I've learned through these forums, they are bad!!). Midland is showing N/A as the date opened so I do not know how/when they acquired the account. Do I dispute these first with the credit agencies or with Midland Credit Management?

Also, I have a couple of Collection Agencies on my report and I do not know what they original accounts are for. MCI is listed with 3 different Collection Agencies with 3 different amounts. But I dont know what the MCI account is. Do I contact MCI first or contact the Collection Agency?

I read a lot on the SOL's but didnt know if that is for my state or the state the Collection Agency is in?

One more question...I've read some have had items removed from their credit reports but what proper/effective steps should I take to do this?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Where to Begin

Hi, soconfused, welcome to the forums!

I'm pretty useles with collections questions, but let me give you some links:

for abbreviations (by the way, MOV = method of verification):

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=Welcome&thread.id=23

The basics of personal credit:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654

A collection of threads about popular subjects, including collections:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=5000

Please go ahead and read these, and I'm sure that help will be along soon.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where to Begin

soconfused wrote:
I am new to the forums and have been learning so much but so confused with the abbreviations and what to start with.

I recently pulled my credit reports and have some items that have been paid off for over 2 years but are now appearing with Midland Credit Management (I've learned through these forums, they are bad!!). Midland is showing N/A as the date opened so I do not know how/when they acquired the account. Do I dispute these first with the credit agencies or with Midland Credit Management?

Also, I have a couple of Collection Agencies on my report and I do not know what they original accounts are for. MCI is listed with 3 different Collection Agencies with 3 different amounts. But I dont know what the MCI account is. Do I contact MCI first or contact the Collection Agency?

I read a lot on the SOL's but didnt know if that is for my state or the state the Collection Agency is in?

One more question...I've read some have had items removed from their credit reports but what proper/effective steps should I take to do this?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!

SOL goes by the state you are residing in. If you moved and had service/account's opened in another state, then check the SOL for that state as well.

Simple way to check for your state's SOL:

If you are past SOL you can DV the CA's collecting for MCI & Midland. Only one CA should be reporting if it has been sold by another. The other 2 must stop reporting.

Please read the links hauling posted about the DV process.

Please post back if you still have questions and are unsure what to do next.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.