Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whether to cancel a secured card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whether to cancel a secured card?

Hey all - first time poster here.

Here's the situation\question.  I had a rocky credit history until a few years ago, and opened a max-funded Capital One secured card ($3000 limit) - since then, I've added a couple of unsecured cards with $750 limits and two store cards with $300 limits. 

The unsecured cards are currently low-balance, but my secured Cap1 is sitting right at the $3000 mark, which is killing my credit utilization ratio.  I've never missed a payment on any of my cards, and the approximate ages are all similar.

My question is this - would it benefit me to cancel the secured card and let the deposit cancel out the balance? While it would certainly help my utilization ratio, I'm unclear on whether the loss of a high 'available credit' card would do more harm than good.  For reference, my approximate scores right now are in the 620-630 range.  No negative marks on any installment accounts except for an old car loan that should fall off in another year or so.

Thanks for any feedback!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whether to cancel a secured card?

Tough question, I guess Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 6
HiLine
Blogger

How about paying off the balance, close the card, and get the deposit back? I'm honestly unsure if you could safely close a secured card with a balance on it.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@HiLine wrote:

How about paying off the balance, close the card, and get the deposit back? I'm honestly unsure if you could safely close a secured card with a balance on it.

+1

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could do that but in that event I'd just leave it open... Sounds like that might be the best bet overall. Changing money from one form to another I suppose.
Message 5 of 6
CreditExpressNJ
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I could do that but in that event I'd just leave it open... Sounds like that might be the best bet overall. Changing money from one form to another I suppose.

I've done this in the pass to the OP .... this is not something you want to do wont reflect negatively but nor positive either that credit card with cease to exist... i had a CC with them a few years back and it had a 700 CL  i lost my job and had been using it to get me by sometimes and after while it was maxed and i still hadnt found a job but long story short .... they used the balance but the card history isnt on my report from when i was paying good the card actually vanished ... not negative or positive so id say pay then close it so the history at least stays there for the 7 or 10 years i believe it is ... hope this helps

CH7 Filed (3/29/17) - 483 EX 516 EQ 517 TU Discharged (5/31/17) - 559 EX 538 EQ 501 TU Current (1/18/22) - 690 EX 683 EQ 671 TU
Current Cards

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.