Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which accounts do I close first

tag
blowe

Which accounts do I close first

All,

My wife has 39 open accounts on one of her reports which myFico flags as something we should fix. Which ones should I try to close first. Is there a clear priority here. Most of these accounts are old CC accounts that we don't use anymore. I just don't want to do something to hurt her credit.

Thx
TU: 771
EX: 820
EF: 816
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which accounts do I close first

39 lines are quite a bit, huh? well....it's generally not a good idea to close anything unless it costs you money. So close the ones that have annual fee and low Credit line. keep anything that has PRIME written over it:
AMEX
BOFA
WAMU
CITI
WELLS FARGO
CHASE
DISCOVER

everything else can be canned:
orchard
household
cap1
rirst premier

good luck.
Message 2 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

montana wrote:
39 lines are quite a bit, huh? well....it's generally not a good idea to close anything unless it costs you money. So close the ones that have annual fee and low Credit line. keep anything that has PRIME written over it:
AMEX
BOFA
WAMU
CITI
WELLS FARGO
CHASE
DISCOVER

everything else can be canned:
orchard
household
cap1
rirst premier

good luck.

And KEEP OLD CARDS.  It keeps the average age up.  If you know your average age, get rid of a mix of cards that does not reduce it.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

blowe wrote:
All,

My wife has 39 open accounts on one of her reports which myFico flags as something we should fix. Which ones should I try to close first. Is there a clear priority here. Most of these accounts are old CC accounts that we don't use anymore. I just don't want to do something to hurt her credit.

Thx

What are your wife's scores?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many of them are credit card accounts? Just wondering how many installments you have too that are open. Those might be hurting you and not the credit cards.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do close, please post here score changes if any. Thanks.
Message 6 of 10
blowe

Wife scores are ...

TU: 767
EX: 801
EF: 776

Obviously we are not hurting here, but, as you can probably tell, I keep a tight reign on our credit history.
Message 7 of 10
blowe

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll start reviewing her open accounts.
Message 8 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

blowe wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll start reviewing her open accounts.

I wouldn't change a thing both of your scores are A++++!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

blowe wrote:
Wife scores are ...

TU: 767
EX: 801
EF: 776

Obviously we are not hurting here, but, as you can probably tell, I keep a tight reign on our credit history.

Smiley Surprised Dont let your wifes scores pass your scores.  I see that her score is close to your score.  My wife's score is slightly higher than mine and all I get is grief.  She wears the pants for now, but I will take my pants back.  Run up her cards while you can.  (no offense-just a little maritial competition humor)

Message Edited by monro411 on 09-14-2007 02:40 PM

Message Edited by monro411 on 09-14-2007 02:42 PM
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.