jacobshapiro

Which credit card to pay off?

I have several credit cards, 2 of them have balances. Discover w/ $5,500 limit at $3,500 and Wells Fargo w/ $15,800 limit at $5,000. I am buying a house in october and want the highest credit score possible, which is currently at 696. I have $3,000 to make payments right now. Which card do you suggest I make a payment to and how much? I know it is good to stay below 10% usage, but on which card would this benefit me the most? The Discover card has a 0% for life rate and the Wells card has 4.9% till next year. Thank you!
Established Contributor
Irvin

Re: Which credit card to pay off?

jacobshapiro wrote:
I have several credit cards, 2 of them have balances. Discover w/ $5,500 limit at $3,500 and Wells Fargo w/ $15,800 limit at $5,000. I am buying a house in october and want the highest credit score possible, which is currently at 696. I have $3,000 to make payments right now. Which card do you suggest I make a payment to and how much? I know it is good to stay below 10% usage, but on which card would this benefit me the most? The Discover card has a 0% for life rate and the Wells card has 4.9% till next year. Thank you!

IMO, you should pay down the balance on Wells Fargo because of the interest rate. You will be paying less interest that way.
However, applying $3k you have to either of the cards will bring down your util by a good amount. It doesn't really matter which card you apply these payments to. Since your overall util % will drop, your score should go up considerably. If you have more money to pay, pay down even more. Perfect situation should be to get your util between 1-9%. Right now, you are at 40%. Paying down $3k would bring it to 25%.

Established Contributor
so_confused

Re: Which credit card to pay off?

IMO. I would make a payment of 2K to the balance on Discover, and 1K to the Wells account. I think that would get you below 30% on both. May give you a little bump in your score. Also will bring down your debt/income ratio.
9/18/08 TU=707 EQ=706 EX=702

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+