Which credit card to pay off?

I have several credit cards, 2 of them have balances. Discover w/ $5,500 limit at $3,500 and Wells Fargo w/ $15,800 limit at $5,000. I am buying a house in october and want the highest credit score possible, which is currently at 696. I have $3,000 to make payments right now. Which card do you suggest I make a payment to and how much? I know it is good to stay below 10% usage, but on which card would this benefit me the most? The Discover card has a 0% for life rate and the Wells card has 4.9% till next year. Thank you!
Established Contributor

Re: Which credit card to pay off?

jacobshapiro wrote:
I have several credit cards, 2 of them have balances. Discover w/ $5,500 limit at $3,500 and Wells Fargo w/ $15,800 limit at $5,000. I am buying a house in october and want the highest credit score possible, which is currently at 696. I have $3,000 to make payments right now. Which card do you suggest I make a payment to and how much? I know it is good to stay below 10% usage, but on which card would this benefit me the most? The Discover card has a 0% for life rate and the Wells card has 4.9% till next year. Thank you!

IMO, you should pay down the balance on Wells Fargo because of the interest rate. You will be paying less interest that way.
However, applying $3k you have to either of the cards will bring down your util by a good amount. It doesn't really matter which card you apply these payments to. Since your overall util % will drop, your score should go up considerably. If you have more money to pay, pay down even more. Perfect situation should be to get your util between 1-9%. Right now, you are at 40%. Paying down $3k would bring it to 25%.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Which credit card to pay off?

IMO. I would make a payment of 2K to the balance on Discover, and 1K to the Wells account. I think that would get you below 30% on both. May give you a little bump in your score. Also will bring down your debt/income ratio.
9/18/08 TU=707 EQ=706 EX=702
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.