cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which credit monitoring do I actually NEED?

tag
itpromike
New Contributor

Ok so I have been anal about my credit starting back to a year or two ago but in the course of that time I've signed up for every monitoring imaginable... as of now my current subscriptions are:

1.) FreeCreditReport.Com - $19.99/month

2.) Equifax - $16.95/Month

3.) Transunion - $16.95/Month

4.) MyFico - $14.95/Month + $59.95 per 3 report pull

Now considering that these sites with the exception of MyFico provides you with the FAKO and not FICO, I'm thinking that being a member of all of them is a waste of money, on the other hand though they do provide me with accurate reporting for the contents of the actual report itself. To my knowledge MyFico ScoreWatch only monitors Equifax so I'll only know when new things get posted to that account... If that is true, my only option then would be to keep paying memberships to ALL of these monitoring programs? What do you guys think? How do you guys keep an eye on yours?

Current Score: TransUnion (820) Equifax (818) Experian (823)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Which credit monitoring do I actually NEED?

I get FICO scores twice a month from Discover and PSECU, and this costs nothing.

Beyond that, I get an EX FAKO and report monthly from USAA, and this costs $6.

I'd suggest investing time in learning more about how scoring works, such that you can anticipate what is likely to happen to your scores based on actions you take re your credit. 

For most people, I'm not sure that frequent updates are useful.  This is especially true given that the various FICO and FAKO scores use different formulas, and thus the scores won't match each other even for identical report information.

Message 2 of 8
itpromike
New Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

I get FICO scores twice a month from Discover and PSECU, and this costs nothing.

Beyond that, I get an EX FAKO and report monthly from USAA, and this costs $6.

I'd suggest investing time in learning more about how scoring works, such that you can anticipate what is likely to happen to your scores based on actions you take re your credit. 

For most people, I'm not sure that frequent updates are useful.  This is especially true given that the various FICO and FAKO scores use different formulas, and thus the scores won't match each other even for identical report information.

I'm not concerned about the scores. I'll get my FICO's either from here or some place else that offers the real scores... My concern is with the actual reports and monitoring the different agencies. I'm looking for a way to monitor all 3 agencies (meaning being alerted to different changes to my credit file) without paying a membership to 3 different places.

Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

For free monitoring 

CK = TU

CS = EX 

Both of those are good for account change alerts 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

If you are not concerned about scores and just monitoring, maybe EliminateIDTheft would suffice?  There are many threads that speak of it.  I used it a year or so ago for many months before I wasn't using it anymore and cancelled.   You are allowed daily pulls.  It was a little clunky to me however as far as the interface was.  If someone was keeping track of anything specific, simply copy the reports onto a word document and save in a folder I guess.  I believe I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-15 dollars a month, I can't recall.  But, yeah, I couldn't imagine using many different pay products as you are.  To each their own though.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 5 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@itpromike wrote:

How do you guys keep an eye on yours?

I use the annual reports, free CMS's and the FICO from Discover.

Prior to an app spree last year I used EIDT to determine the ideal day to apply.

@itpromike wrote:

What are you specifically looking for?  Monthly reports and scores for all 3 CRA's?  Have you looked in the CMS thread?

Message 6 of 8
itpromike
New Contributor

Honestly the thing I'm looking for the most is the monitoring. The montly statements aren't even as important to me as just having the good ol' fashioned monitoring. Something that will send me an alert when:

1.) New activity has posted to my CR like a balance change or new account

2.) When my credit score has changed

For instance I love myFico alerts however it only does Equifax which is a bummer. I'd love something that will monitor all 3 for changes but there doesn't seem to be a single site/service that monitors all 3. So I'd still have to get monitoring service for each one. But at least it doesn't all have to be paid 3 separate times. 

Message 7 of 8
Peter1142
Established Contributor

I was wondering the same thing. Now that I have a house and goos scores I cant justify spending all this cash. Is there any free Eq monitoring? I have TU with CK and Discover (who gives an actual FICO) and Ex CS and other free sites. Score watch has been hit or miss with me to. It didn't work at all for months. It does seem to work now though.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.