cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best credit monitoring service?

tag
thinkin

Which is the best credit monitoring service?

I know that we are on a "myFico" forum, but which service is the best credit monitoring service for the money?   What I am looking for really is monitoring of all three services with an occasional credit report.  That is to say, I want to be made aware of changes to all three bureaus, but I only occasionally need an actual copy of my credit report.   Anyone heard of IdentityGuard?  Ok, looking forward to your input.

James

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which is the best credit monitoring service?

To my understanding, myFico and a certain Credit Union is the only place for a true Experian FICO score, or even in general for FICO score.

So to my understanding any 3-n-1 monitor is only good for just that, monitoring.

~Steven

Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

To my understanding, myFico and a certain Credit Union is the only place for a true Experian FICO score, or even in general for FICO score.

So to my understanding any 3-n-1 monitor is only good for just that, monitoring.

~Steven

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score (from myFICO or anywhere else) since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but that site seems to have stopped doing that. Equifax will still sell you a FICO score but you have to look very hard to find it. You can get to it here: www.equifax.com/myfico-products.

As far as credit monitoring if you haven't already you can look through the CMS Guide here onsite.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, be sure to check out the Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide . It covers most all of the services out there. Be sure to see the distinction between reports and scores. You can get reports from anywhere, and the Guide shows quite a few 3-in-1 services which allow you to pull daily, monthly, quarterly, or annually. However, don't use these services for the scores (most all provide scores). These scores are not FICO scores (e.g. Identity Guard uses a FAKO called CreditXpert score) and there is no service anywhere, other than from a lender, that allows you to see all 3 FICO scores together. However, these services are crucial, IMO, in monitoring the goings on on your CRs and are important in repair. BTW, the Guide points out other places to get your FICO score (at the bottom), including places to get it for free.

ETA....I don't have the fast typing skills like MVV has....he's quick on the trigger.

Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

OP, be sure to check out the Credit Monitoring Service (CMS) Guide . It covers most all of the services out there. Be sure to see the distinction between reports and scores. You can get reports from anywhere, and the Guide shows quite a few 3-in-1 services which allow you to pull daily, monthly, quarterly, or annually. However, don't use these services for the scores (most all provide scores). These scores are not FICO scores (e.g. Identity Guard uses a FAKO called CreditXpert score) and there is no service anywhere, other than from a lender, that allows you to see all 3 FICO scores together. However, these services are crucial, IMO, in monitoring the goings on on your CRs and are important in repair. BTW, the Guide points out other places to get your FICO score (at the bottom), including places to get it for free.

ETA....I don't have the fast typing skills like MVV has....he's quick on the trigger.

Those macros come in handy.  Smiley Wink

Plus you gave so much more detail than I did.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for clearing that up, I typed that a bit to fast. Really should re-read my post before sumbiting.

~Steven

Message 6 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

I like EQ. They just updated their website so it's kinda slow.

However, based on my experience, I have more lenders pulled EQ than EX or TU.

Plus, I pay $14 per month to check my fico with EQ including credit alerts and I can check my fico score with EQ at any time without additional $$.

Myfico allows you to check your TU, EQ report, but after a couple of pulls annually, you would get hit with $19 each time you wanna check it again.

At the end of the day, I focus on EQ because that is my weakest score. it's worst than TU/EX because I have more hard IQ on EQ.

I don't know why most lenders favor EQ over TU/EX when it comes to a hard pull. At least base on my experience.

Comes down to preference and what fits your needs.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.