Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is worse?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is worse?

30 day late or Over the limit on cc's/loans?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ariesdreamer
Regular Contributor

Re: Which is worse?

That's a good question and something I'd like to know as well!
02/17/2021: 654 (EX), 633 (EQ), 608 (TU)
12/8/2020: 668 (EX), 630 (EQ), 630 (TU)
Message 2 of 12
Jacque383
Regular Contributor

That's a good question....My thinking is the 30 day late is worse because it would be a part of your permanant record. The overage on a CC can be repaired simply by paying it down.

However, I'm curious as to the correct answer as well.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't our fico scores take a hit either way?  I wonder which would hurt most in points?  You are right the late would be permanent for 7 years. 
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really not sure. The late payment would show for 7 years, right? The over the limit would also be there as it would show limit and high balance, but, wouldn't that be erased by a credit line increase later on? If a cli were an option.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That brings up another question, how long will being over the limit report?  I better check my reports.   Thanks for bringing that up.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It'll only show for one month. Sometimes the high balance might show as hogher than the CL - for example if a creditor lowers your CL. For sure - 30 days past due is worse.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

myhearts07 wrote:
That brings up another question, how long will being over the limit report?  I better check my reports.   Thanks for bringing that up.

I think the 30 day late, 7 years period.
Message 9 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

myhearts07 wrote:
30 day late or Over the limit on cc's/loans?

They are both bad! Short-term, over the limit is worse. Long-term, the 30 day late worse if you are unable to successfully GW it.

Message Edited by fused111 on 08-10-2007 08:51 AM

Message Edited by fused111 on 08-10-2007 06:01 PM
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.