cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one would give bigger impact on score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which one would give bigger impact on score?

I currently have a maxed out Wells Fargo Fin. (Cash on Demand) Line of Credit that is near $5K, and a Sears MC that has been closed since 2002 that is at about $2600 that I have a one-year no interest deal on and a reduced monthly payment plan.

Anyway, I want to pay one of these off in Feb. when I get my tax refund.  My question is which would be the best to pay off first to get the biggest score impact?

At first I thought the LOC as it's at 19% interest and I'm paying about $73 a month in interest.  I thought if I paid that in full that would really help my utilization.

But then I also read somewhere that closed accounts with balances really hurt your score - so should I just pay off the Sears and put the rest of the money on the Wells Fargo account?

Any thoughts would be great...
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: Which one would give bigger impact on score?

Pay Wells Fargo. Not only will you be paying off the higher interest loan, utilization will be lowered. Anything left over throw at Sears. The Sears is almost 6 years old and is hurting you less than WF. 
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which one would give bigger impact on score?

Great, that's what I'll do.  Thanks for the quick response (and nice scores, I'm jealous! Smiley Very Happy )!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.