cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which option makes the most financial sense?

tag
tim2
Contributor

Which option makes the most financial sense?

We have 2 cars - one paid off and one that we still owe about $13k on  @ 1.9% interest.  The one that was paid off was just totalled and the insurance has cut us a check for $10k.  We have to purchase a new car.  The interest rate for the new car will be about 4%.  I have some credit card debt that is roughly 21% interest.  My question is should I take the car settlement payment of $10k and pay down one of the two cars or should I pay the $10k car money towards the high interest credit card debt? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Which option makes the most financial sense?

My opinion is to get the car at 4% and pay down the credit card -- it iscosting you the most money. Are you planning on applying for financing on any other major purchases any time soon, besides, of course, the car at 4%?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 2 of 7
tim2
Contributor

No  - but then again didn't plan on this major purchase either.   I have no negative items on my credit - just high balances.  Otherwise I would be able to get a lower rate on the new vehicle.

Message 3 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would agree with idea use the money from insurance company to pay down the credit card debit. I think it would save you the most money in the long run.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 7
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

If you can get by without the second vehicle, it would make sense to put some monies down on the highest cc, and if you do not have an emergency fund, put  a grand or so away for emergencies.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 7
compassion101
Established Contributor

Definitely pay off the credit card.

How much CC debt will that leave you with? If alot, maybe try a less expensive car and pay the difference on the CC debt, just a budgeting suggestion. Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Pay off cc debt, pay cash for car.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.